My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! My wife and I just moved from Lincoln, NE a few miles north to Davey. We're taking over her family's farm and, well, have a few acres of grass to mow! In the garage is her fathers (now passed), lawn tractor, that's been sitting for at least 5 or 6 years due to unknown problems. From what her brother said the carb was leaking (hopefully just needs a carb kit), and I guess it leaked oil and maybe the steering was a bit wonky. It's a Craftsman II model # 917 254920. Guess it has a Briggs and Stratton 12HP IC engine (at least that's what it says on the hood, on the engine itself it says 11hp.) Has a 38" deck and a 6spd. Don't know much else about the mower, but would like to tear it apart, rebuild whatever's necessary, paint it up nice, and get it running again (mostly for sentimental reasons, due to it being her Dad's favorite toy.) I found and downloaded an owners manual for the tractor, but would love to learn a lot more about it. Looks like this forum will be a great help with this! Especially since I've never worked on, or even had a riding mower myself (always lived in town so all I know are little push mowers.) Plus, after watching a few Youtube videos of people flying around on their craftsman II mowers... looks like it'll be a lot of fun! :cool

·
Founding Administrator
1,256 Posts
Welcome to the forum, RoadrunnerRod. Glad you joined up.

Should not be a tough job getting your new mower up and running. Carb kit is probably a good place to start. Also, drain the oil and replace, along with the filter, if so equipped.

Good luck, let us know when the questions arise, and we'll walk you thru the various steps.

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
:welcome: RoadrunnerRod. I think you will get a kick of getting it back up and running. It's pretty satisfying to hear an engine come back to life that hasn't run for a long time. Just take your time, feel free ask questions if you have any, and most of all, have fun. In this case, you'll have memories of the father and his favorite toy to enjoy as well.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Welcome to MLF!

That's exciting I bet to move onto a farm! Yup, that riding mower will sure come in handy and you'll love the totally new experience of riding vs. using a smaller push mower. You said it yourself, it looks like fun and it is! :)

It sounds like you're already off to a great start by downloading that manual. I'm sure after a good tune-up and inspection that you'll have it up and running in no time.

Keep us updated!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts