My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Illinois!

I joined this forum this morning mostly to post a classified ad to give away some literature I have been saving, but I poked around a bit and see it might be one of my regular "go to" forums.

I've been a Wheel Horse collector for quite a while. I've been lucky to accumulate a nice collection of tractors spanning pretty much their entire production run all the way back to 1946. The company did offer some mowers under the Pond branding (anybody that has anything Pond is welcome to send it my way :) ), but I haven't seen many.

I haven't taken much interest in old mowers, but my grandpa used to have a few Goodalls - a couple of which we still have - and I really like my 2-stroke Lawnboys.

Anyway, this is a neat site. Hopefully I'll fit in.

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Welcome to the forum Steve, nice to have you. I think you will have no problem at all fitting in here as we are pretty much like minded folks :) Be sure to share some pics of those WHs as we all love:pics:!

What kind of literature do have to give away as I am a bit of a collector of that kind of stuff myself ;)

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Welcome to MLF! Your collections sound very impressive, we'd love to see some photos! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

Thanks for the welcome, fellas.

I figured there'd be some interest here in these manuals. I posted them first on www.wheelhorseforum.com (Redsquare) to give those guys a shot, but no takers. I don't like to throw stuff away, so figured I'd better try here first.

Manuals are often tough to find. And these looked like they might be somewhat rare since I hadn't even seen a Sunbeam mower before. I understand the interest in manuals since I collect WH literature too.

I might have more stuff in storage from that auction that I'll run across as I reorganize my basement, so maybe I'll find a few more things to give out.

pictures...

I don't really have many of my stuff, but I think I have some uploaded to Photobucket that I'll sort through. I apologize for the poor quality of most of the photos....it's sort of a trademark of mine.

This is one of the newest ones I have after dragging it home. It's a 1998 Toro-Wheel Horse 522xi. 22hp Kohler, hydro, power steering. Best tractors ever to bear the WH name, but WH purists aren't big on them.

Toro bought WH in 1986 and started applying their logo to the product line in 1990. They kept the classic tractor alive until 2006 for the 60th anniversary but they're all extinct now.

This is a 1990 model 520-8. Only 225 of these were built. While a nice idea and absolute powerhouses, coupling a 20 hp engine to a manual transmission wasn't appealing to the general public. the 520-H with a hydro far outsold these and are everywhere. This is a good example of the "classic' style I mentioned above.

Here's a 1982 C-195. This was WH's last attempt at a "Super" garden tractor. These are quite rare with only about 500 of them having been made. unfortunately, they all used the Kohler KT series 1 engines.

This is a picture of Cecil Pond (the older gentleman signing books). He co-founded WH in 1946 with his father Elmer. Cecil passed away in December of last year. It was really a thrill to get to meet the man who started this madness.

The other guy signing books is Michael Martino, author of "Straight from the Horse's Mouth". he chronicals the WH story in his book. A new version is due out soon.

Lastly, for now, a couple pictures of some oldies from the WH family. This is my 1954 Ride Away Senior (RS-83)

And this is my 1946 Pond Tractor (called a Lever Steer). This is the one that started the process.

Cecil and his dad hammered these together in their garage in South Bend, IN. It's estimated they built about 50 of them.

I really don't have many pictures stored on this computer...I guess I ought to change that at some point.

Steve

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Wow, that's an impressive collection you have there. Thank you for sharing the pictures. And how neat to have had the opportunity to meet the company's founder.

There's a fellow not far from where I live that actually has Wheel Horse tractors on display up on shelves. I lost count of how many he had last time I visited his place.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
:ditto:
Thanks Steve for the pics and I especially like the 54, something about spoke wheels that tickles my fancy...

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Neat machines, thanks for the photos and info to go along with!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts