My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have made my introduction thread lets get down to business.

I just recently purchased a new push mower to replace the pos craftsman mower. In the craftsman's defense it was neglected pretty bad when I got it and well, I beat the **** out of it too. Even left it in the rain! More than once. :sorry:

I bought a cub cadet push mower. Obviously that is why I am here in this sub-forum. As I stated in my introduction post my old cub cadet push mower got stolen, that is how I came to own the craftsman. I really liked that cubby too. :angry:

Anyway, I cannot find any reviews and/or complaints about them. It is a 2013 Signature Cut series SC500HW. It is already purchased but I am mainly wondering how people like them, do I need to watch out for any problems. Should I have not passed by the toro dealer lol.

I wont be mowing a crazy amount of grass with it, It will just be used as a trim mower. Around the house, the fence line, the ditches on either side of the property and below some low hanging pines.

Share your stories with me, Good or bad.

I offer a virtual chocolate chip cookie for your stories.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I don't have any experience personally with that particular model but for the uses stated that it will be used for, it shouldn't have any trouble at all.

Keep up on maintenance and it should last you a long time.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
From what I can see looking on the internet, It's a MTD Made machine simply rebadged Cub Cadet.. That's not necessarily a bad thing.. although from my experience The newer MTD stuff isn't extremely durable.. So Treat it with care and it should serve you well!

-Stan

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
No need for cookies, just a heart felt thanks will do.

I'll go along with the other guys on this one. For what you say you'll be using it for, if taken care of should do a fine job for you. I had experience with a Cub deck that had seen little use because the previous owner hadn't taken proper care of the engine. As a result, the engine gave out but the deck and running gear was like new and I was very impressed by it. A replacement engine and it was good to go.

I took a quick look at the Consumer Reports Buying Guide for 2014 to see if Cubs were mentioned. Honda and Toro mowers consistently receive the highest marks for self propelled walk behind mowers, but the Cub Cadet SC100 11A-A92J did receive the highest ranking for Gas Push mowers. Self propelled Cub Cadet, John Deere, Snapper and Husvarna were listed as the most repair prone. The reviews were based on 9,149 push mowers and 34,032 self propelled mowers bought new from 2008 through 2012. Of course, it says nothing of the thousands bought and used that were not reported to Consumer Reports.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:( I was hoping for some first hand experiences.

it should be delivered with my new tractor sometime next week, depending on weather.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Well, if the deck and running gear on the Cub Cadet I had experience with is any indication, you should be very satisfied with it. The only problem with the one I used hadn't had proper attention given to the engine, and the engine went south while there was still paint on the underside of the deck.

Hope you'll come back and give your evaluation of it when it arrives so others like you who might be looking for first hand experience will be able to learn from yours.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the mower got delivered today. All was not well. It started up just fine, variable speed works just fine. In fact from initial use this thing is way better than my older cub. However when I released the handle to put it away till spring, it stayed running. I gave the dealer a call and within 10 minutes someone was here to pick it up to take it to be fixed.

I am glad I purchased it from such a great place, I know they will make it right. I just hope this is the only issue I run in to, even though the guys at the dealer are friendly, I don't want to have to keep calling them for repairs. lol.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Hopefully it just needs a small adjustment and they can take care of it quickly for you. Good to hear your dealer is very responsive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dropping it off in a few minutes, factory missed installing a washer. Service manager lives 2 miles from me so he is going to bring it by on his way home.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Sounds like good customer service! :2th:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
The dealer really did well it sounds like!! Glad to see they stood behind the product!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
here is a crappy cell phone picture. don't mind my messy shed floor. It has been too freaking cold to go out and sweep it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It isn't the nicest, I really wanted the husqvarna mower they had there with awd, but this fit in my budget easier lol. I always prefer rear wheel drive as well over front wheel. I am hoping this mower will stand up to at least 5 years if not more. I can't wait for spring to hit to see if it is up to the job that I have assigned for it. I am getting tired of using a trimmer to cut the ditches. If it isn't up to the task I may be shopping this June for a better solution.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts