My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction with my little mower. I have a Countax C600H with Briggs 16hp engine of which I have had a little accident in, I was given the wrong oil, oil for a Honda engine and unknowingly I ran it up and within a minute or so it started smoking so I switched it off. I have since drained and cleaned it all out and replaced with the correct oil and a new filter, I first ran it up and it started smoking again but ran perfectly so I lost at what I should do. I called a local agent and they said without looking at it that is going to need a new head gasket and the list went on, which for an elderly mower is a little uncost effective.

Any thoughts anyone?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Hi there Gary, welcome to the site!

In all honesty, I would venture to say that you did not do any harm to your machine.

For the record though, do you by chance still have the original bottle of Honda oil? If so, what was/is the viscosity of it just out of curiosity? Also, this was motor oil correct? If it was a lubricant such as for a pump for instance and not actual engine oil, that would explain it right there.

Really the only other reason that I can think of that would've caused the smoke other than over filling it with oil is that the Honda oil's viscosity was of a much lower (thinner) viscosity than what the machine calls for. Even then though, I would still be a bit surprised that it would've smoked like it did leading me to guess that it may have not been actual engine oil. Whatever it was though, it was simply getting past the cylinder rings and getting burned in the combusion process so that's where the smoke came from.

At the very end of the day though, it sounds like it was ran for a very short duration of time and I don't think you did any harm. Oil is oil and it is designed to provide lubrication, so whatever it was that was in there, it was still providing some sort of lubrication while it was running. Maybe just not optimately. Run it as it is with the correct oil and it should clear right up after some use. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Honda sells a variety of engine oils and as Austen suggested, find the bottle of oil or look up on the web to help identify what you used. I know they make a 0W-20 but unlikely to find with any OPE, more likely a 5W-30 or a 10W-30 which I concur should not have caused permanent failure. Give Austen's suggestion a go and let us know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts