My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently bought a Honda HRM215SXA, I think I have the model right based on decoding from a website. It is the plastic deck, 3 spd, rear bagger, no blade clutch model.

I bought the mower used for $60, last owner couldnt get it to run, i took the carb off, cleaned the snot out of it runs like a champ, self propel works, cuts better than any other mower I have owned, sad but true compared to a the $400 Cub Cadet with caster wheels I bought 3 years ago thinking it was a great mower, I did not know it was just another rebadged MTD.

My only complaint with this mower is that set at the highest cutting height it still cuts shorter than any mower I have owned, I looked at the mower and noticed the bottom blade is actually sitting a quarter inch below the deck. I took it a shop familiar with basically every brand and he said the blades are mounted correctly...

Should I try some new FACTORY blades and see if it fixes the problem? The mower is fine for my own yard, but I mow a few (meaning 3 lawns not of own) and they prefer the grass cut as high as possible. Compared to before, this mower is almost shaving the lawn.

Thank you for any insight!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Welcome to MLF cphelps2011. I'm not familiar with that model of mower, but there are some real sharp Honda guys here that can help you right out. For the mean time do you have the seriel# and I'll try and find some info for you. Do you have an
owners manual for it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No serial or manual. Not sure why, but the serial plate is no longer on the deck. I assume that little plate is actually riveted to the deck, I can see where it was and it is no longer there. With any luck I will just be able to find a stamped number on the engine block but I am pretty sure this gives no information on the actual model of mower, just the engine model. It is frustrating. I just want to find out if there is anything I can do about the cutting height. All information at least leads to it being a Harmony 215.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Thats interesting you are the second person today with that same mower. I'll put that manual in the Library. Give me a minute and I'll Give you the link. BTW I think the max height on the cut should be @3"

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same mower-strange coincidence, but cool. I can check the blade height inside the deck for you. May take a bit to get back to you tho.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I would do what bwdbrn1 suggested about checking the blade part number and make sure you have the right blade. I don't recall seeing a blade set up where the blade extends down past the deck. The blade height would be from the ground to the blade itself. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I recently bought a Honda HRM215SXA,

I looked at the mower and noticed the bottom blade is actually sitting a quarter inch below the deck.
I spoke with the mower model engineer about this. When viewed at ground level, the blade(s) should not be visible or hanging below the inner edge of the mower deck. The only exception to this is on the very front of the deck, where there's a very tiny (less that 1/4") may be visible.

So let's stand at the handlebars and imagine a clock, with 12 at the front, 6 at the rear, and 3 and 9 being the right and left sides respectively. If you align the blades so the tips are at 3 and 9 o'clock, can you see the edges of the blades at both locations (3 and 9)? If so, sounds like the wrong blades or maybe some non-factory washers or spacers are installed.

If the blades are only visible at 3 o'clock OR only visible at 9 o'clock, sounds like the blade(s) are bent, or, worst case, the crankshaft is bent(!).

Blades are pretty cheap, so I'd first buy and install the correct factory blades, and pay attention to the bolts and blade holder part(s). Your dealer will know what is required and what parts go where. With the frame serial number, I could upload some images and parts listings to help if you prefer to DIY.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only tip the mower on its side where gas will not drain out of the carb and into the air filter so I have only viewed the 3'o clock side, but have rotated the blades to see if they are bent. either way I rotate the blades they stick down past the deck about a quarter inch, which from my experience is not normal with any mower. I cant imagine the shaft is bent, their is very little vibration in this mower when running at full throttle, and it cuts very evenly.

I am going to drop by a Honda power equipment dealer tomorrow to see if they can give me any insight and I will probably end up buying some factory blades for the mower. Cutting short or not this mower is great, and I paid so little for it that I will not drop the ball on it. I have wanted a Honda since I used my father in law's Honda and now I have one for a fraction of the cost of a new one that performs just as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's that link to your manual:

http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/for...honda-hrm215-sxa-hrb215sxa-owners-manual.html

If you find that you have a different model you can always go to HONDA.com and get any Owners/Operators manual there for free in PDF format.
Any chance you know where a SHOP MANUAL PDF would be? I previously found an owners manual online. Besides cracking open the transmission it is similar to any other mower maintenance I have done. All I have not done to walk behind mower is opening up the transmission. From what knowledge I have, most small motors needing much of any rebuild or internal maintenance besides a timing chain are about as cost effective to replace than repair. As in replacing pistons, rings and having a cylinder bored and honed. Unless of course you have a machine shop hookup.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Short of going online to an authorized dealer, I don't have access to any at this time. Someone else may have one to share if they see this though.

·
Premium Member
6,106 Posts
Honda offers shop manuals online for sale. There aren't any free pdf versions to be had, at least that I've ever found. I have a copy myself. Is there any specific information you're looking for?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I finally got to get the blades back on.
They are nder the edge of the deck 3/8" on left/right sides and near even on the front edge.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
When you say under the edge, do you mean visibly hanging down past the deck or 3/8" up inside of the deck, not visible from the sides anymore? If its the latter, sounds like you are good to go now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
cphelps2011 actually posted the question. Mine happens to be the same model. I measured from the deck up to the blades. Mine are up inside the deck. First time I have used a Honda mower and boy the mulching of leaves works extremely well.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
:bag: I got lost in the conversation, That should give a good reference though on the blade height. :cool

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought some new oem blades for it, didnt change a thing. The mechanic at the deal said this was one of the downfalls and complaints customers had about this model. I still find it strange the bottom blade is just below the deck. I will probably be selling this mower and buying a different Honda in the spring. It will do fine now for the fall but not for spring because of the rate my customer's yards grow with them fertilizing and watering the living **** out of their lawns. Oh well, I predict I can get more for this mower than I bought it for. Bout it not running for $60, cleaned the carb and now it runs great.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Thanks for the update, sounds like you are still satisfied with the Honda brand though?

·
Registered
30 Posts
My SXA is different then. 2 speed tranny and blade clutch. The blades are tucked up under deck. Surprises me the safety watch dogs let that model go like that. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts