My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed the mower belt on my H2013 and discovered the tensioner pulley spring (a heavy one, about a foot long) was missing, so I ordered one and am trying to install it but find the springs tension is very strong, enough to flex a large screwdriver when I try to lever it in place. Looks like close to 2 inches it needs to stretch. Does this sound right?

Thanks for any advice,
Al.C

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
It's not uncommon for some of those springs to stretch an inch or two. Sometimes a tool with a hook on the end will allow you to pull the spring on to the mounting point as opposed to prying it on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not uncommon for some of those springs to stretch an inch or two. Sometimes a tool with a hook on the end will allow you to pull the spring on to the mounting point as opposed to prying it on.
Thanks for the advice. Part of my problem was trying to install the spring with the deck installed. I removed the deck and with room to work, found I could get the spring correctly installed. I'm still having problems though with the belt tension, it is too loose to engage with the drive pulley. Will adjusting the blade belt tensioner arm fix that?

Thanks again,
Al.C

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mower belt tension problem solved

Thanks to all who gave ideas about my mower belt tension problem.
By watching what was happening with the tensioner pulley when I engaged and disengaged the PTO lever I saw the problem.:idea: Turns out the belt tensioner arm pulley engaged by the PTO lever was hanging up before fully rotating for full tension to be applied, so I lubed it and adjusted the arm so that the PTO rod would move it a bit more when engaged, and that did the trick!
I've learned as much as needed, with help from this forum, to keep my old tractor running. Thanks again to the experts!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Thanks for the update Al, sometimes the solution presents itself. Glad it was an easy fix. :2th:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts