My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
After my mower sits around for a few days I have the problem of hard starting. I have to remove the air cleaner cover and either shoot either or pour gas down carburater for quiet awhile before it will run on its own gas It's a Brigg and Stration. Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
The carbs on these "classic series" Briggs engines have known issues - you can get a rebuild kit for about $5 at the local big box store, or go for broke and replace the entire carb (including new diaphragm gasket included in the rebuild kit) for less than $25 (online). Plenty of videos on Youtube showing how to replace the carb and install the rebuild kit.

At $25 for the carb, it's cheap maintenance just to replace it every 5 years! Far cheaper than a visit to the local mower shop, at least in my area.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not a classic B&G,, its a V twin. Anyway.. the problem is the throttle/choke cable is out of adjustment.
To adjust: Follow the cable around to rear of engine. You will see where its clamped to the braket on engine. Put throttle in START/CHOKE position. All the way forward. Now loosen the torx screw on the clamp. Grasp cable and tug it to the right. This will actuate the choke lever. Tighten screw. Start engine. Simple as that.
I see MANY of these each year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not a classic B&G,, its a V twin. Anyway.. the problem is the throttle/choke cable is out of adjustment.
To adjust: Follow the cable around to rear of engine. You will see where its clamped to the braket on engine. Put throttle in START/CHOKE position. All the way forward. Now loosen the torx screw on the clamp. Grasp cable and tug it to the right. This will actuate the choke lever. Tighten screw. Start engine. Simple as that.
I see MANY of these each year.
I think your on to something. Last night I pulled up on choke cable very hard and it started and ran for a while. All though my lawnmower has a throttle cable and a choke cable. I did take the carb off a couple of months ago and checked it for dirt and water. I think I must not of refasten the cable back right or not tight enough. Will check out better this weekend. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think your on to something. Last night I pulled up on choke cable very hard and it started and ran for a while. All though my lawnmower has a throttle cable and a choke cable. I did take the carb off a couple of months ago and checked it for dirt and water. I think I must not of refasten the cable back right or not tight enough. Will check out better this weekend. Thanks
Yes that was the problem. It turned out to be a choke cable issue. A few months back when I started having trouble I took the carb. off and looked to see what it was made of. Make sure it didn't have any water and/or dirt in it. When I put it back on I should of paid more attention to fastening the choke cable. I pulled up on the choke cable now very hard and it will start. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes that was the problem. It turned out to be a choke cable issue. A few months back when I started having trouble I took the carb. off and looked to see what it was made of. Make sure it didn't have any water and/or dirt in it. When I put it back on I should of paid more attention to fastening the choke cable. I pulled up on the choke cable now very hard and it will start. Thanks
Well I'm back. I guess I never got the problem fixed. The last two times I started it I had to keep spraying starter fluid into the carb. until it picks up gas. The time before last when I started it I had to spray starter fluid in carb. for approximately 2 minutes, before it finally ran on its own. Last night when I tried to start it I sprayed for approximately 3 1/2 minutes and never got it to run on its own. There must be something screwed up in carb.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I'm back. I guess I never got the problem fixed. The last two times I started it I had to keep spraying starter fluid into the carb. until it picks up gas. The time before last when I started it I had to spray starter fluid in carb. for approximately 2 minutes, before it finally ran on its own. Last night when I tried to start it I sprayed for approximately 3 1/2 minutes and never got it to run on its own. There must be something screwed up in carb.
I kind of determined that there might be enough water in bowl to keep it from starting. I have a couple of questions. Would you call this an updraft carb.? If so, is water too heavy for the updraft to draw water up and through the throat? So if there enough water in bottom of bowl and the float is causing the needle value from letting gas flow thru, that is why I have to use either and/or pour gas down the carb? How do I get the water out of the bottom of the bowl? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
if you care about your wrenches and dont have one that will fit, go and get a cheap set from hft for six bucks and grind the wrench thinner on the end

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Need to drop the carb bowl...need very thin wrench to loosen the solenoid...Does your eng look like this...it may help..
Disassembly, Cleaning and Repair of Briggs Intek V-twin Two-Barrel Nikki Carburetor - Part 1
Yes it looks like pictures #1 and #3. Would you know what size wrench that it takes, metric or standard? Thanks

I'll spend a little more time here now. The other night when I removed the carb. line from the carb. and turned engine over it pumped gas and a little water into a 16.9 oz. plastic water bottle. This is how I determined that maybe water was the problem. That is why I asked the question about updraft carb. being able to draw up water into the center tower. So if there is pure water standing in the bottom of the carb. bowl will the updraft be able to draw it up the tube or just set there and block the center tube?
Another question I would like to ask/ make a statement. I think I've determined that red stabilizer will separate from gas over time. Last night I took a suction tube gun and drawled some water and gas from the very bottom of my gas tank where the pickup tube sets in the gas tank. I drawled out about 3 inches worth in a 16.9 oz. plastic water bottle. The bottom 1/2 inches looked like water, and then the next inch looked like red stabilizer and then the rest looked like gas. I then used another 16.9 oz. water bottle and draw out another 6 inches of fluid and about the bottom 3/4 inch looked like water. So since 2007 I have been adding red stabilizer to my 5 gallon gas can and adding it to my lawnmower and other equipment in the late summer fall. Agree or not?
Thanks

·
Registered
730 Posts
If your carb bowl looks like pic 3, then it seems removing solenoid will not enable bowl to drop...Unscrewing...But that seems very difficult to reach...Perhaps, remove spark plugs...fully choke butterfly [or stuff rag in airbox] , and rapid crank engine for several seconds...I would think you will draw out the water gas in bowl, and spit it out..Drain remaining gas in tank..[or if not gravity drain, blow in compressed air [muffled with rag], with carb line still disconnected..]...Reconnect, Refill with fresh gas...Be sure choke butterfly fully closes...Go for a start.!! I've never worked on this eng...offering generic thoughts...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If your carb bowl looks like pic 3, then it seems removing solenoid will not enable bowl to drop...Unscrewing...But that seems very difficult to reach...Perhaps, remove spark plugs...fully choke butterfly [or stuff rag in airbox] , and rapid crank engine for several seconds...I would think you will draw out the water gas in bowl, and spit it out..Drain remaining gas in tank..[or if not gravity drain, blow in compressed air [muffled with rag], with carb line still disconnected..]...Reconnect, Refill with fresh gas...Be sure choke butterfly fully closes...Go for a start.!! I've never worked on this eng...offering generic thoughts...
Well, it started right up last night. So what I done Wednesday night by pumping gas out of line and running with choke and sucking gas/water/satabilizer out of tank with suction gun must of removed enough water from bowl to let gas past. So after it started last night I ran it and dumped approx. 3/4 of a bottle of heat in gas tank. Gas tank had approx. 1/4 gallon of gas in it, until it die from being out of gas. Refilled with new gas and ran for another 2 hours picking up leaves. I think maybe all's well. If I knew the size wrench it takes to get solenold off I would do that too.

Thanks to all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts