My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Snappers that I have re-powered with these engines. One with the old blue Greyhound engine and the other with the new Predator engine. The older one was done five years ago and the other was two years ago.
Both start on the first or second pull and run better than the Briggs motors they replaced.
Will be re-powering a mid 80's Snapper commercial this summer with one and also have one on my tiller.

One of the few Chinese products I have been 100% pleased with.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
I've heard of lots of people who have re-powered their snowblowers with the Predator engines, but I believe you're the first I've heard of using one on a lawn mower.

Could you share some more information about the engines and how the job of re-powering them on your mowers went?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I put one on a Toro Recycler last summer, but sold it shortly after.I used it on my own lawn once.It worked well. It's a 7/8 shaft, and I had a drive pulley and blade adapter from something else that fit. I just wanted to try it, that mower was bought to flip.
My sons friends shed had some sort of flood and it ruined the Honda engine on there Snapper. We put one of these on and it was a direct swap for the original Honda. That was late last fall and I don't know if they have used it yet.
http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engines/55-hp-173cc-ohv-vertical-shaft-gas-engine

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
they are great engines. i have a 212cc on my toro 521 and a 196cc on my 824. both perform great and start easily

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I seem to recall the older greyhound engines were problematic, But the new Predator engines seem to be very well made for a Chinese clone.. Heck, They are basically what MTD and toro are using anyway on their cheeper mowers nowadays.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
I know from what everybody says about the ones they put on their snow blowers that they're satisfied with the performance. Some have had to do a bit of fiddling and adapting to get them to fit and work like the original engines they replaced.

I've looked at the vertical shafted engines at Harbor Freight, and I can see similarities to some of Honda's GXV engines.

Did you guys who have put them on your mowers have to do anything to adapt them, or were they a straight swap for everything on the mowers they were installed on?

·
Registered
75 Posts
If I am remembering correctly repowering the Snapper/Honda with the Honda clone was a direct swap. Exception being the Predator was setup for a throttle cable and this Snapper didnt have one. I forget now what I used to lock it in the high RPM mode. On the re powered Toro I added a cheap
. The only thing I didn't like about that, was the silly rabbit and turtle were backwards.
If I had a complaint in the little time I actually spent with them it would be that they don't have a choke, and on the snapper install the primer button seemed to be needed when starting cold or hot to get a one pull start.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I have seen several of these engines put on Eddleman chassis. Seem to be alright.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've heard of lots of people who have re-powered their snowblowers with the Predator engines, but I believe you're the first I've heard of using one on a lawn mower.

Could you share some more information about the engines and how the job of re-powering them on your mowers went?
It was pretty straight forward swap on one since it had the 7/8" crankshaft already and the self propel pulley and blade adapter swapped right over. On the other I had to get a new pulley and blade adapter since that Briggs had a 1" shaft.
As stated earlier the fast/slow is reversed. Not a big deal to me.
These engines do not kill with the throttle. The only kill switch is on the flywheel brake.I did away with the flywheel brake so I could leave the engine running when I empty the bag so I wired a toggle switch to kill the engine. Just hook one wire to the terminal on the coil and ground the other wire.
On the Greyhound engine I changed the muffler with one off of a Cub Cadet with the MTD OHV engine on it so it would exhaust away from the plastic chute. On the other I just added an exhaust deflector.

Pretty easy swap and for not much more than an overhaul on a Briggs would cost and you get a very good engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I am remembering correctly repowering the Snapper/Honda with the Honda clone was a direct swap. Exception being the Predator was setup for a throttle cable and this Snapper didnt have one. I forget now what I used to lock it in the high RPM mode. On the re powered Toro I added a cheap throttle control like this from some big box store. The only thing I didn't like about that, was the silly rabbit and turtle were backwards.
If I had a complaint in the little time I actually spent with them it would be that they don't have a choke, and on the snapper install the primer button seemed to be needed when starting cold or hot to get a one pull start.
I prefer a primer bulb, though the Greyhound has a choke and starts first pull. The Predator has a primer bulb and three pumps when cold is all you need. No priming needed on a warm start.

I used one of these engines on my boss's Craftsman walk behind trimmer and you only hit the primer once or you'll flood it.

·
Banned
343 Posts
THERE are plenty of new old stock. BRIGGS and TECUMSAPART engines sitting in warehouses across this country. just waiting and wanting to be loved by someone. because iam not showing or giving any love to those CLOWN ENGINES. AND THAT IS ALL I AM GOING TO SAY ON THAT 1.:soap:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Well Powershift, there is a lot of people no able or willing to pay for a NOS engine. Unfortunately there is more of these type engines coming from our name brands companies now, namely MTD. I am sure there is some under other companies.
To each their own, if you want American, GREAT. If you just want a power plant suit yourself!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts