7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Easter! ;-)

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, it was a nice day today!

After church I got the '53 out for the first time this year and took it around for a little sunshine cruisin'.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! It's definitely a lot of fun.

Yup, it has the original GMC built 228 straight six with a 4 speed Hydro-Matic transmission.

When my Dad restored it in the 90's, he wanted to put something bigger in it with a manual but I convinced him otherwise and that was to keep it all original instead. As much as I appreciate resto mods, I've always felt this truck deserved to be kept original being that it's a bit more unique as a 3/4" ton with an automatic transmission.

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
That does surprise with with an automatic. I would think that must have been a special order. IIRC they were geared on the low side so they still had power to move loads at slower speeds even with the small engine but you probably would not get too many speeding tickets at the top end. :D

I've always had a soft spot for old trucks large and small. :cool:

(In fact call me nuts but I've always thought I would like to have an old dump or flat bed with one of the Detroit 6V or 8V 2-cycle diesels. Always loved the sound of those engines! :bag:)

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That does surprise with with an automatic. I would think that must have been a special order. IIRC they were geared on the low side so they still had power to move loads at slower speeds even with the small engine but you probably would not get too many speeding tickets at the top end. :D

I've always had a soft spot for old trucks large and small. :cool:

(In fact call me nuts but I've always thought I would like to have an old dump or flat bed with one of the Detroit 6V or 8V 2-cycle diesels. Always loved the sound of those engines! :bag:)
It is geared low. Infact it ususally shifts out of first gear around 2-3 mph. The first few feet when you get going out of the driveway! Like you said, it's an old farm truck meant for hauling heavy loads back in the day.

I definitely agree and have always thought the samething, an old 1950's or 60's commercial style truck would be sweet to own, even more so with a 2 stroke Detroit diesel. Nope, you cannot beat the sound of one of those! The round fenders and everything similar to this only in a larger body are really neat and not something you see as often either.

Very nice truck! Bet it was a great day, enjoying the sun and fresh air.
:)

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
That sure is a dandy relic! I've never have an antique like that, but my brother is currently fixing up a 80' VW Rabbit deisel. It isn't nearly as old as yours or course, but it doesn't have any of the electronics that can be a pain when repairing newer vehicles.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hear you there, there is no doubt older vehicles are more simplistic and easier to work on than the maze of wiring under found today's hood!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts