My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promise I've used the search feature to mine all the good data on this forum. I didn't really come up with a promising avenue to travel down now that I am in need of replacement/repair of my H2113's GXV390.

Lots of oil smoke. Mowed twice (approx 1 acre) this season after oil change using recommended 10W30 and a new NGK plug. Consistently excessive oil smoke & resulting oil consumption. Careful to top it off and not overfill as I thought may have been a possible culprit. Also thought maybe loading it on my tilt trailer may have got oil where it shouldn't have been but tilt was nose up...not sideways. Engine sounds good and starts excellent, mows great. A more experienced ear or a stethoscope might reveal something to someone else but to me, it runs good, doesn't bog and sounds like I assume a Honda is supposed to sound.

I have removed and cleaned the carb for the beginning season but it really wasn't dirty and probably wasn't necessary but I want to eliminate the easy things first. Fuel tank was clean except for a few very small specs of residue and I took the tank off and cleaned it prior to starting. Fuel is clean with a just a touch of Seafoam when filling.

Placed white paper in front of exhaust before starting and got oil splatter. Smoke is consistent and might lessen a bit after warmed and mowing but it never goes away. Climbing slight grade with full grass catchers on back seem to induce a little more smoke as I'm calling on the little engine to do it's thing. Smoke at idle or max...so I'm pretty certain it's ring time.

Now for the meat of my post. I have been wearing Google out trying to discover my options. I have been told Honda doesn't do short blocks. I haven't located anyone that does. I have read about clone engines (China) but want to stay with the Honda. I am not completely ignorant when it comes to repairs as I've been an owner/operator of Class 8 big rigs for over 40 years and you don't do that without some mechanical abilities. But engine internals has not been something I have experience with. 99% of the responses locally are what you might figure..."No you don't want to go into the engine. You'll have more than it's worth." Not what I want to hear and I have not been deterred by the responses. My little red mower is in way too nice condition in every other category to let her go the way of the junkyard. I want to either replace the engine with new complete, short block or tear it down and ring it. I realize there are other options and would be willing to listen but I'm not thinking re-power with another brand engine. I'd like to find a compatible engine cause those are the kind of fixes I can do myself. Changing the engine is something I can do. Ringing it is something I might pull off but I'd rather keep downtime and expense to a minimum. I do have the factory manual, BTW. Got a lot of tools but not sure I have what I might need to pull off a tear down & rebuild.

Could someone point me in the right direction for reliable engine suppliers? I know where I can get parts online...I use their parts breakdowns all the time for my Honda outboards and it seems the same folks do mower engine parts, etc. Also advise me about the re-ringing. I may just need someone to kick me in the head and tell me that I can do this to get me started.

Thanks for reading. Your help may prevent me from making room in the dog house if the grass gets too high.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Have you checked the crankcase breather? If it's plugged, that would create a positive pressure in the crankcase and would cause oil to be forced past the rings. If it is indeed the rings, it's definitely worth tearing it down and putting a new set in. If the bore is in good shape, all you'll need to do is deglaze it before putting the new rings in, because it has a cast iron liner.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Honda no longer offers a complete, replacement engine for the H2113, which uses the Honda GXV390. However, nearly all the core engine internals are still available from Honda. You can see parts diagrams (direct from Honda) with just your frame serial number from this site:

Honda Power Equipment, Engines and Marine Factory Parts Lookup

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you checked the crankcase breather? If it's plugged, that would create a positive pressure in the crankcase and would cause oil to be forced past the rings. If it is indeed the rings, it's definitely worth tearing it down and putting a new set in. If the bore is in good shape, all you'll need to do is deglaze it before putting the new rings in, because it has a cast iron liner.
Yes sir, motorhead. I checked that. All clear. I hoped to discover something that simple but no such luck. Thx for the reply though. I'm thinking I might just tear into it.

:dunno:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
View attachment 23497

Here's your kick.:)

You should be able to install new rings without too much trouble. I've done a few GXV120s and GXV140s, using standard sized rings and honing the cylinder in each. Some of them were doing just as you describes spitting out oil droplets and continuing the smoke after getting warmed up.

http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/for...air-discussion/8313-honda-gxv120-rebuild.html
Thanks a bunch, bwdbrn1 ! I just went through that thread you linked to and I'm getting my parts list together. I'm gonna dive in see what the innards of my little puffer look like because of your gxv120 rebuild thread. That was the kick I needed!

I'll document it once I get started and will probably have a bunch of questions as I proceed. It's fishing time now and here I am taking on another project?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It will not be as informative as yours, B. But I will take my time and do images along the way. That's a very decent thing you did in that other thread. Someone in there used the words "confidence builder"...I guess that's what I needed was a lil bit o' confidence building.

·
Registered
85 Posts
bwdbrn1,
Wow, I just checked out your link to your ring job on your HR214 SXA, which is the exact model I have which also needs a ring job. I'll be devouring that thread soon.
I found a service manual online for the GXV120 and GXV160engine so no need to buy one. Check this out if you didn't know it could be found online:
Honda Service Manual GXV120 GXV160

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Yep, you can't beat having the service manual for these engines. Probably the best investment you can make if you're going to do this kind of work. Gordy, if you're going to keep your HR214 going, you might consider getting the shop manual for the HR214 mower itself first. Much of the information that applies to the engine is in it as well.

I see the GXV390 is listed through that site as well. Hmmm...
Honda Owner Manual GXV270 GXV340 GXV390

Honda sells their shop manuals through several outlets.
Honda Shop Manuals and Service Support Materials| Honda Power Equipment

Call me weird, but I have Honda shop manuals for each of the pieces of Honda OPE I have, and some equipment that I don't. Nothing beats having a hard copy to look at.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
I just ran out to the garage and checked my HR214 shop manual. Everything you'd need to know about the mower and it's engine os in there.

I took a quick photo of my shop manual library.

I'll be happy to look up information in them for anybody needing something out of them.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts