My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all-

My rig is a 2004 GT245 with a 52" deck, with which I mow 4.5 acres; owned it since new.

Anyhow, it has performed perfectly with normal maintenance, meaning new oil/filter every year, fuel stabilizer in the winter, new blades when I bend 'em, that kind of thing.

Lately, it has started stalling out for no obvious reason. Problem started under load and on uphills, but now happens with or without load on flat surfaces. It will run for 30-45 seconds at full throttle, then simply stop. It is behaving like the fuel supply is cut off abruptly. It restarts easily after a moment's rest.

Some possibly important facts:
- new spark plugs
- I am missing my right arm, and the mower has always needed choke to start. I removed the return spring in the choke lever on the dash so that choke will stay open until I pull it closed- otherwise can't hold choke open and turn key at the same time.
- new fuel
- recent oil change with Fram filter and CASTROL 10W30 car oil.

I am a motorcycle gearhead from way back, so have turned a lot of wrenches. This behavior makes me suspect a bad fuel pump? (Does it even have one?)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Oh, forgot-

87 Octane fuel, probably ethanol blend.
Fuel is flowing through the filter- can see it.
Fuel cap vent is ok- removing fuel cap does not change behavior
No sign of richness on plugs and no smell of fuel or anything like that
No sign of fuel in oil

·
Administrator
6,223 Posts
Welcome to MLF bluedogz! :)

...This behavior makes me suspect a bad fuel pump? (Does it even have one?)
I plugged your model number into JD Parts Catalog and it does show a fuel pump. Cost is about $32 dollars.

From the initial symptoms does sound like the pump might be the culprit.

Does it have a low oil pressure shutdown feature? I see an oil pressure switch in the diagram. That would be my second guess based on it first started to give problems when going up hill.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided to start at the basics...

Changed the oil again and refilled with the EXACT amount shown in the manual (1.7 qts, I think.)
New Fram filter
New NGK plugs instead of the Champions that I put in it a few months ago
Sta-bil ethanol treatment in the gas tank

POOF... runs like a champ. I can only guess that ethanol-mix gas is more trouble than I thought.

Mark- thanks for the link to the parts site- I can use that! The idea of an oil-pressure-cutoff was what made me start at the oil change and do the rest while I was at it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts