My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st, sorry for so many posts - is like I got a new toy or something :)
I mulch my yard, so as soon as I got my new gravely home, I ordered the mulching kit. I was under the impression I would get some baffles and 3 blades, but for this mower all I received was one big baffle and no blades (surprised me for $100+)
I installed it last night (have to put the deck back on) and I must say, I was not too impressed with it. Basically it is a huge piece of flat metal (it is made well) that has a baffle on one end to cover the grass chute.
It does have some spacers on it that lowers that side of the deck a couple of inches, which I guess could help with turbulence and chopping up the grass ?, but if not, sure seems like it would have been much easier to just have a cover over the chute externally.
On my Deere, I just had a hard plastic cover I could take on or off, took seconds, I thought it mulched well.
On this, it is either or. If I do not want to mulch, I would have to climb under the mower (remove the deck) to remove it, then obviously reverse the procedure to put it back on.
I like cutting grass, but I don;t think I would care to spend that much time just switching between mulch or not mulch.
Plus, as mentioned, I really do not see the point of the huge baffle unless those spacers lower that part of the deck to increase mulching efficiency some how.
It may turn out to be the best mulching mower I have ever had, but so far at the installation phase, can't say I am too impressed - except it really is a solid piece of metal.
Oh, and I wonder how long the rubber seals are going to last ? On a few edges, there are rubber seals which would seal the baffle to the deck. Not sure how long rubber is going to last being under the deck.
Anyway, new toy so sorry for so many posts.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Donberry,

Please don't apologize for posting too often. NO such thing.

I know you've come for advice and a little help but you have to consider you have a new machine and we're all learning from your critique's. I think this review is fascinating and I'm learning from it.

The next chap that comes along with this, or a like Gravely with Q's & A's - We're going to know exactly who to go to for hands on experience. :2th:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd read up on proper lawn mowing...
Different grasses, different times of the year....
IMO, I have been cutting grass for 70 years and MAY NEVER have done it correctly !
My lawn of today is lousy....the whole thing should be re-done ($$$$$.$$) I am not wealthy......must economize......and compromise...
Mulch is fine, but, MAYBE not all the time..
So, an easily switchable unit is better, I believe....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts