My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Gravely Model L, Mod #M 99911, I can not get it to start. Firing OK with no attempt to kick back.
I have cleaned the carb but being one of those (Zenith Bendix with the horizonal float)
I do not know what the setting is on the main jet at bottom.
It acts like it is flooding.
Thanks for any Help
To see a Gravely model L at work go to youtube and type the name (Gravely Model L )in the search window

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I'm kind of new to the Gravely thing myself, as I have recently acquired 3 with multiple attachments and another "L" a couple weeks ago (Don't tell anyone here or they'll want pictures ;) ). Here is a link to a service manual for the "L"
http://gravelytractorclub.org/images/PDFs/manuals/walk-behind/model-l/Servicing_Model_L_Engine.pdf

If you poke around there, you'll find they have all kinds of manuals for the Gravelys as well to include manuals for the carbs.
When you get a chance post a couple pics of yours if you don't mind. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gravely Won't start

I have found the problem,just waiting on part to get here. The main fuel jet is missing from My carburetor. I found one at Parts for Aluminum Zenith Carburetors.
This place has every thing looks like. I will try a couple pictures. All I have is the Bush Hog hooked up & the turning plow.
Randleman N.C. is a little country town where every one wants a garden & all the men that plowed for people have mostly died or quit plowing for the public.
So if I get set up & running I hope to plow some & be a witness for the LORD.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Interesting that it was missing and good detective work. It sounds like whoever had it before was cleaning or rebuilding it and forgot to reinstall it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the part Today. Lord willing Gravely will Start in the Morning.
If anyone can tell Me the most reasonable place to get parts for the Rottary Turning plow would be MUCH appreciated.
Where is the Smileing face.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Which rotary plow do you have? I have one but its different from the 43902? Mine is the dual purpose with the tiller.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a picture of the turning plow I have.
Oh! I got the main fuel jet part in Yesterday. Tried cranking Gravely today. And surprised I was about the 3rd pull it cranked and ran for a minute or more, then it acted like it is flooding. I am going to find an electric drill that is big enough to turn the engine untill I can find out what is going on.
I have the idle jet turned out 1.5 turns and the main jet open 2 turns now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
That's the same as mine. It's called a dual purpose cultivator. It also has a roto tiller attachment. This is mine with the tiller on it. I also have the plow attachment.

Do you have the mag and everything timed just right?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The timing is fine. I just need to do some fine carb adjusting.What if I turn the main jet out one round instead of two. Where does flooding come from. I can operate the choke open and close while it is runing and that will stop it from dieing for a little while. It is probably one of those TLC things or OJT.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Flooding is when a piece of something gets lodged in the needle and seat and allows a constant fuel flow into the carb. It also could be a float out of adjustment which when the bowl is full the float is not going up high enough to close the needle allowing the fuel to flow.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gravely won"t run

Flooding is when a piece of something gets lodged in the needle and seat and allows a constant fuel flow into the carb. It also could be a float out of adjustment which when the bowl is full the float is not going up high enough to close the needle allowing the fuel to flow.
I got the Gravely to run for about 4 minutes then it kinda like coughs and blows air/gas out the carb.air intake.
I have took the carb. (Alunium #12108-D) back apart & measured the recommended float height,it was correct. So I understand the way this thing operates is, The fuel jet(on bottom with T handle, open 2 rounds) allows fuel thru the needle valve to the bowl.
Now the top adjusting screw causes vaccum ( the farther it is screwed in the more fuel it sucks in), I had the machine hand throttle set open approximately 1/4.
What causes the behching of the machine ? I do not know what to adjust.

Thanks for ALL the HELP!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes Sir. It gave Me the setting instructions.
I have been nosing around old tractors literature,I found a Allis Chalmers tractor series that uses this same carb. & that literature said to open main jet 4.5 rounds open & what is causing the coughing is its set to lean.
So it has quit raining for a few minutes & soon as I cool down from other work I am going to try gravely again.

P.S. what is the simplest way or what do You use to change the pictures size.
Wish Every one a Great July 4th Vacation. I am retired 70 young so I stay on vacation.That is what I thought when I was employed. A little HUMOR Ha! Ha!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
P.S. what is the simplest way or what do You use to change the pictures size.
Most basic photo software installed on the computers have a way to resize your pictures like "Paint" with Microsoft Windows. You could also use a free service like "Photobucket" which automatically changes your pictures to a forum friendly size and gives you a link to paste in your post.

Wish Every one a Great July 4th Vacation.
Thank you and hope the same for you and yours! :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I do have a soft spot for L model Gravelys. I started my mowing career at 12 on a 1964 model (which to this day still has a Studebaker Packard decal) my dad has.

I'd love to have the thing, but have nowhere to keep it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gravely won't start

The Gravely will start now, just I need to get it outside of the shed I have it in.
I have talked with a few people I know around town & tried to explain how that this machine is built for the city, where there is a desire for a Home Garden,if it is an over grown area that is a perfect place for the garden usually.
So far I have 3 garden areas promised to plow & some Bush hogging at the back of the Church.
I have the Two Gravely Model L's a 1963 & a 1957, as I use them someone wants to buy that is fine. Lord willing I'll just go buy another.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
How did you remedy your issue?

I have the Two Gravely Model L's a 1963 & a 1957, as I use them someone wants to buy that is fine.
I have a place you can keep them.... ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts