My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 624 tiller that the governor must be made by Quinn, it just doesn't govern......:bag:when I took the carb off to clean it I broke the original linkage so I made one out of a bicycle spoke. Could that be too heavy or could the spring be stretched?
Thanks, Dave

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Thats actually a pretty clever mod, I'll have to remember that. I would think if the actual lengths on the linkage is the same as the original, the spring should work just fine unless I'm mis-understanding something. Do you have pictures to help?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to make it the same length, I'm guessing just a little off would make a big difference. I'll try to get some pics, that's a pretty tricky angle and lots goin on there.
Thanks, Dave

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
A Quinn tiller! Then it's making promises that it can't keep and costs way more than it takes in!:2cents:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my apologies to everyone in the other 49 states, Quinn is just the worst governor in history, probably from any state. Thus the reference to the governor on my JD....it/he just refuses to govern.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Well, unlike our governmental system, we here at MLMF try to respond to the public's wishes and desires when it comes to outdoor power equipment in a true and honest attempt to satisfy our constituents.

Anyway, enough of the political stuff, how's the tiller working with your home made governor rod?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know, I just couldn't resist the comparison.....anyway, havin problems with the governor. I don't know if the spoke as a link is too thick or I don't have the bends in the right place or if the spring is hooked wrong. I'm tryin to find a pic of how everything should be hooked up, I'd hate to blow that motor over reving it.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Being from that place that's just outside Chicago they call Illinois, I know what you're talking about. Being a stone's throw from Iowa doesn't help either.

If the governor arm and throttle arm you have your rod inserted into pivot like they should, then I think you'd be O.K. Is there an anti-surge spring, that fine wire thing that usually wraps around the governor rod?

It's possible that your home made rod is just a bit different in length than the original and maybe you just have to adjust the governor.

Take a look over in our Reference Library section. There's a couple of Tecumseh manuals that should help you figure it out.

http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/for...45-tecumseh-cast-iron-engine-information.html

http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/forum/67-reference-library/6753-tecumseh-4-strokes.html

Let us know how it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts