My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked dad into installing the smaller 38" deck for her today! What a difference in our little yard! Now I can use it! Only issue is the deck seems to cut very low. I need to find directions on leveling and adjusting it, was on the 160 I scrapped!
I made big mistake when trying to install the deck, we needed some height and I used the handicap hoist with tractor on lift. It made handi lift over reach and drop my 180 and caused bad scratches on hood and damaged fender of other project in garage! Thank God did not hurt anyone, was extremely angry with my self. Threw some choice words and items into driveway! Not proud of it, but still human! Dad to the rescue and touched up paint with brush and 180 back to looking pretty good for old restore!
We had BRAND new never used factory 111 38" blades from old tractor we bought years ago! Sweet to have on this deck!

Old deck showing rust bad under cover, also outboard spindle very noisy and some play.

Awaiting new deck!

Pops painting it.

Chute is still wet, will install later.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Looks good Eric.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Smitty! I did the "Ellis challenge" with it yesterday!!!
His Gravely build on MTF got this started! Was making thread and stupid computer refreshed wrong page and lost my typing! :(

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Looks great!!! Must be nice having the small deck. Much more maneuverable. :)

I see no scratches....:2th:

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
So, how does this challenge work? You put your mower in gear and see if it will idle up a slope?

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Smitty, it started with Ellis posting his video. I had to mess with him and made one of the. JD RER doing it. Basically just idle and best hill you got! Definitely not for new equipment, only old dogs let it move with no one on it. I got guys having fun! Main thing is good fun! Got me to fire up old dogs!

Reactions: Smitty76

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks great!!! Must be nice having the small deck. Much more maneuverable. :)

I see no scratches....:2th:
Thank God they are hard to see Austen. Sure was ticked off! I know its only a lawn tractor, but it is my favorite trailer queen!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Is that deck the same one that comes on the STX38? It looks very similar.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The mounts are different, but basically the same!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found reason the deck is too low, the lift arms have different part number for 38" deck and 46" deck! Thank God I kept them when I junked the 160!! ;)

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We pulled her out and looked into deck. Dad noticed another set of holes for front mount, he talked me into just trying that first, deck sat level and now seems good to go!? I mowed some and no scalping or too low!! SWEET! Mounted the chute and now she is a grass warrior for me! Mows real nice and quiet!!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gonna look for factory bagger set up now!:)

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Nice restoration!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mowed yesterday and results are well worth it! Super nice cut and it is so easy to drive around yard now! :)

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Smitty it sure is! My tractor! I kept it right after we got done with it!
Sure like being able to use it like it is meant to be used!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts