My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a guy write me about the Craftsman plow tractor today. Offered low, well here is the emails I got, kinda sad to be attacked from a guy!? I am mad,but will keep my tongue, talking to you guys to vent!! :dunno:
His first email "$225 cash ??"
My response "
Good morning. Your offer is way too low. The tires in back are worth that alone. I could do $400 cash today. If you have a old riding mower or push mower, we would take towards price of our tractor
Thanks
Eric"
His response "You can purchase brand new tractors for $900 so why would i wanna pay you half of that for an 80's mower? I will pass on it but good luck trying to sell old tractors at that price in this economy"
My response as I wasn't happy with this tone, but kept my peace thank God! "Thank for letting me know that you aren't interested.
God bless!
Eric"
Now this is his response and I am walking away, not getting drug down to his level!!! "God Bless my ass...Quit ripping people off!!"
Now ,did you think I am ripping people off?? I know in my heart We aren't!
Just feel bad by the way people are today. My old self was a real jerk and right now want to find this guy and "teach" him something! Thank God I am not this person anymore! Gonna go on a bike ride to cool off, or walk!!
Here is my add for you guys to see for yourself!
Craftsman garden tractor with plow

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it, $400 +- is about what I get for the average used rider (No frills). There's always a low baller. :(

·
Ret. Moderator
498 Posts
Just looked in my area , cheapest Craftsman (no plow) is $400 for parts or repair .... someone will come along and be happy to get such a good deal.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Shame people are so un-business like in their dealings! Just the guys tone set me off some. Kori, around here I would never sell it for that! People walk on prices you would love to get it for yourself!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Gah, just hold your cool. That's the best thing you can do. Even though it's hard, don't stoop down like you said to their level.

Some folks out there have no life and because of it take it out on others. It's THEIR problem.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had a CL guy that wanted to buy my Mountaineer. I had everything that was wrong with it listed and everything that was fixed. I wanted $600 negotiable.

He said he was interested and was coming down that weekend because he was looking for a car for his family, then no show. Emailed him and he wanted it for less, so I came down to $500. He then told me he would give me $200 for it and come get it right now because that was scrap price. I asked him what became of him looking for a vehicle for his family and he said he was still looking, but my vehicle wasn't the one he wanted. When I told him no to $200, he got irate because I "promised" it to him.

A few emails were exchanged and I politely told him I would rather pay someone to take it away than let him do me the "favor" of letting him take it off my hands for an obscenely low amount. I usually tell people like the two we dealt with "You are not doing me any favors by offering to take it off my hands for a low price. If I was going to give it away, it would be in the free columns instead of for sale" and let it go.

We all have em at times.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
:ditto:

I've had people like that...

"Here, I'll "Do you A Favor" And take it off your hands for $5... That's more than scrap value.. You should be thanking me.."

I always say I can negotiate.. But By Negotiate I mean "Asking $250 would take $220 or Maybe $199" However, Most people are "Asking $300... I'll Offer $25."

-Stan :bag:

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
...My response as I wasn't happy with this tone, but kept my peace thank God! "Thank for letting me know that you aren't interested.
God bless!
Eric"
Now this is his response and I am walking away, not getting drug down to his level!!! "God Bless my ass...Quit ripping people off!!"...
He saw that he failed to get you wound the first try so he was having another go at it. Misery loves company. ;)

Can't teach people a lesson when they don't want to learn it. We have a few like that come in the store and put on a good show. When we let them walk some have went outside and paced about or set in their car a few minutes and then come back in and buy. One day the owners little boy was standing by the front door and being too young to know what had just happened he told the guy all smiles to "Have a nice day" as he stormed out. :ROFL I told one of the owners after that happened the price should go back up when they come back in. That's when the pain in the arse customer tax kicks in. :D

I've always hated bartering and arguing with a passion. Part of the reason I have absolutely no interest in being in sales. Some people though love to do it. To them it is a challenge, battle a wills, a game to be won.

·
Ret. Moderator
498 Posts
When I owned a retail garden center people tried to negotiate with me all the time . I would smile and politely say , " Go to the grocery store and see how much they will negotiate with you ? " People think just because you are a mom and pop store you have major profit margins. But what gets me about craigslist is people negotiate price without even looking at it , I usually say come see it and we will talk . You loose the tire kickers quickly that way.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
I usually say come see it and we will talk . You loose the tire kickers quickly that way.
Yep, works all the time.

Don't let it get under your skin Eric. People like that don't have any real self-respect, and try to drag everyone else down to their level in a very misguided attempt at making themselves feel better.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all! To show you how God works, I sold it tonight! Nice young couple called and came over. The husband needs it for his woodworking in winter and for the plow. He knows what he saw and offered a fair price, we liked them and they have two kids. He is happy and so are we to bless a young couple!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your right there Bruce! I was so mad last night! I went on a 4 mile fast bike ride to blow off steam! We all been there!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your right there Kori! The guy is nice ,couldn't pay now, did not try to pick it up. Will pay for it then come for it. I still have tractor ,so no loss. Now to sell the Deutz!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kori, don't cry! I will ship it to you , but in pieces!? ;)
A lot of shipping charge I is afraid!!!! LOL

1 - 20 of 34 Posts