My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend Ed dropped this off when I was on way home. Dad is too funny. Ed wanted to sell it cheap, dad said he won't pay for a MTD due to the belt he hates to change!! Ed just did not want it so told dad to scrap it!! Too funny! I used jump box on it and looks like valve adjustment was main issue, has new starter as usual when this happens!! Guess we will add it to the "pile" ;)

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Seems to be a little too good for the scrap pile from what I see.

What can you do about the missing light cover?

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Just a heads up to the uninitiated..........look at the pics well. Otherwise, next time you see it, you won't recognize it. Another canvas for the master's brush strokes :ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
looks great, totally off topic question, what kind of briggs quantum is that in the back. only seen one on this, never seen one in person.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looks great, totally off topic question, what kind of briggs quantum is that in the back. only seen one on this, never seen one in person.

That engine was on a older Craftsman mower. It is free, just non runner. Scrapped the deck.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a heads up to the uninitiated..........look at the pics well. Otherwise, next time you see it, you won't recognize it. Another canvas for the master's brush strokes :ThumbUp:
Thank you Ellis! That was very nice to say!!!:howdy:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got home and dad got it running. One valve was out of adjustment and oil full of gas. He cleaned carb and it backfired through carb. Checked the keyway and found tarantulas under flywheel! Guess it was ok the key. He then got it running ,says everything works!
Austen, not sure about lens, might order one online?!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
That's the older style Quantum with the remote primer on the side of the engine.

I believe it's the 2nd model of Quantum made, Here is it and an original vertical Pull quantum.. Those are getting quite rare By the way.

-Stan

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well here is a long delayed update. Did this yesterday, but picked up Trojan virus on computer, put me down for hours fixing it! :(
The original engine would super heat muffler and sounded labored revving. Think cam gear is worn and off time. Remember that RER junk with plastic transaxle?? Its engine was a 11HP and real nice runner. SWAP time!! We have to swap the stator over as RER had no headlights. Runs nice and just have to wire it up.
Muffler wouldn't swap, but the engines muffler will work with MTD hood! SWEET!
Will mount grill/ hood next.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well we finished the tractor today. I swapped out the stator and hooked up kill wire. We got a seat from Bob and swapped it out. Installed the hood and grill. She runs and drives pretty good! The blades were never off, we could not get them off with impact?? Had to use cheater and breaker bar! We have a bagger we will try to mount and we never did pressure wash it! Need to clean it up and find lens for headlights!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Looks like fun!

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
runs pretty good, i would personally move that muffler deflecter so its not melting that wire or just completely take it off

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Been a real long time since this one had work done to it. Fired right up when we pulled it in for the bagger install we got for it. Mounted bagger today and buffed it quick. Raining and everything is getting iced over. Dangerous to walk, so called it a day. Here it is before I parked it.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Either that or give it to someone. My neighbor might be lucky winner! His don't have bagger and Simplicity I was giving him is no start for some reason. Might be weak magneto?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts