My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got a free HR214, the deck is shot but it has the electric starter and all. I have a HR214 that I have had for years and it smokes on startup.
So this free one is going to be rebuilt and then swapped out with my other one then I will rebuild that one.
Free is good.:ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Great to get a freebie! Sounds like alot of good stuff!

Reactions: wh55 and BOSMECH

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sweet! Great plan! Looking foreward to pics!

Reactions: wh55 and BOSMECH

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Congrats on the new machine! Looking forward to seeing it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have not done any thing yet but will soon.
There is a rebuild page some where on the forum that someone posted and it is what I am going to follow as it has all the important stuff posted in it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I picked up my donor HR214 for $5 last Fall, but it's missing the fuel tank and starter mechanism (which I don't need, anyway). I'm refinishing the deck right now (in another thread), but haven't had time to do more yet than just get started (I can't believe how busy I've been). Getting the aluminum corrosion off of it has been difficult, and I'll try applying muriatic acid next. My 1st string HR214 will be smoking on startup for its 3rd (upcoming) season now, and then works perfectly after it warms up - I've owned it for 32-years.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The thing is finding the time, I should first see if it even runs and think about the rebuild heck it might be good for now and swap it out.
All and all I have the options to do what I want now and so far its free.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is like mine also it smokes on startup but then in about 1 to 2 minutes it stops.
The donor has electric start but I don't have a charger for it so I assume you have to run the engine for along time to get the battery charged back up.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
If I remember right, Robert said they'll recharge the battery after about 15 minutes of run time, but I'm guessing that's with a fully charged battery to begin with.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If I remember right, Robert said they'll recharge the battery after about 15 minutes of run time, but I'm guessing that's with a fully charged battery to begin with.
Older Honda mowers with GXV engines and electric start did not have any on-board charging...you had to use a wall charger, but the battery was usually robust enough to go all season without being charged.

Newer Honda mowers with GCV engines (some, but not all) *do* have an on-board charger, but not a very fast one. Some customers still may need to use an optional wall-charger.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I will figure out how to charge it some how.
First thing is overhaul and then see if it has a alternator or similar that will charge while running if not I will get some sort of charger to work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There were 2 free Hondas on craigslist today and they were gone in seconds (dam it) before I could get them.
They would have made good rebuilds or donor parts for my equipment.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
my grandfather has an older hrx217 mower that has electric start but no alternator. its a 2007 i think. i do know it was the first year for the click lock gas cap

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I finally got around to removing the motor and all the parts that I wanted now it comes down to the rebuild.
The lower section of the handle bars are shot so if I wanted to use the electric start I will have to find that section so I can bolt on the start control and battery section.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts