My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was driving down the street here the other day and saw a glint of the unmistakable Lawn Boy green sitting along the curb. When I came back I had to stop and have a look see at what it was. Well, when I got near the Lawn Boy I spotted the Honda Tiller I mentioned in another thread, but that's another story.

Anyway, the Lawn Boy is a model 10122, a 24 volt cordless mower.

Wellll, you can kind of figure out the rest. It's definitely different from anything else I have. Neighbor down the street had one of those rechargable electric Black and Decker things and I was always amazed at how quiet the thing was. So, next day I went back and worked out a deal and bought the electric Lawn Boy.

This thing has an onboard charger, and when I plugged it in a little red light came on indicating that it was charging!:cool Next morning, though, a yellow light was on telling me, hey mister, your batteries are bad.

The mower has four 6 volt, 12 amp batteries hooked together in series.

A thread over on MTF about these is what got me started on being interested in this mower, but also pointed me in the direction of this web site for replacement batteries.
https://www.batterysharks.com/default.asp
I was up pretty early this morning so I sent them an email telling them of the Panasonic batteries I had to replace. A bit later, before their listed business hours, they sent a response back telling me what batteries they had that would replace the Panasonics.
6V-12AH Sealed Lead Acid Batteries (6.00 Volts 12.00 AmpH) - High quality and lowest price guaranteed

Geez, a lot less than what Toro or anybody else wants for them, so a few mouse clicks later the order was placed, and within a couple of hours they sent me an email with the UPS tracking number! Wow, that was fast!

In the mean time, I also had to order what they call a "key" that's necessary to operate the mower, and a little bracket that holds the "on" switch in place. Seems the bracket was broken because the cable to the bail on the handle wasn't routed right, and it seemed stuck. When I pulled the cable out I found out that it is just fine, so it'll go back in the right way when I'm done with the clean up, which I started today. I think it'll be kind of neat in an odd way from what I'm used to.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Nice find!

I had no idea LB made an electric mower, that will be an interesting one to have.

It sounds like you've got all the right parts on the way to get her up and running like it should! :cool

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, that black panel right behind the batteries holds the charger and is where you plug it in. I'll post more pictures of it as I get it cleaned up.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I like the look of that 5802.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Going green...and seeing red...

Interesting. Before the thread over on MTF, I didn't know they made any either.

So, the batteries arrived today which to me is incredible since I had just placed the order yesterday at about 10:00 in the morning!
I have to admit to doing a little bit of a Red Green thing and used a generous lenght of duct tape to hold them together.:rolleyes: Installed them into the deck and plugged them in. The red light came on on the charger like the manual said it should to indicate that it recognized the batteries and was starting the charging process.

When that green light on the bottom remains on the batteries are charged. The manual says the initial charge should take 12 to 16 hours so I'll wait until 9:00 tomorrow before trying it out.

So, like I said I'd never heard of these Lawn Boy cordless mowers before reading the MTF thread, and when I went to order the parts I needed from the Toro dealer they said that there was a Toro version of it too.

Today the dealer called to tell me my parts were in and when I walked in to pick them up, there just inside the door was a Toro cordless! Seems the batteries on it were run down and the owner didn't want to deal with it, and neither did the dealership. Now I have a pair of them.:cool

Kind of look like Christmas ornaments, don't they.

The Toro is also a 24 volt, but instead of four 6 volt batteries, this one has two 12s. Overall , the Toro is in better shape than the Lawn Boy.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
It's wonderful when parts arrive that quickly, isn't it.

Nice score on the second one! :cool:

·
1,329 Posts
Im impressed! I didnt know they were available. I live under a rock! Thanks for sharing the info and pics:ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Evidently these models were only made for a couple of years back in the late 90s. Looking at the Toro parts look up, the model 20647 was available in 1996 and 1997. This Toro is a 1997 model. Lawn Boy's parts look up lists the model 10122 as being 1997 and 1998. This one is a 1998.

Toro sells one now called the e-Cycler.
Toro | e-Cycler Cordless Mower - Electric Lawn Mower

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Strangely enough,
I'm working on something similar.. Just replaced the batteries on it.

It uses 2 12v Batteries almost exactly like the Toro.

I gave the customer an upgrade from Sealed Lead acid to Lithium Ion.. For an extra charge.. Of course :p

-Stan

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Looks pretty clean and sleek, is that the one you are working on? Looks like you shine them up too.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
This is encouraging...

Got a green light! According to the manual, when the green light stays on longer than the red light, it's charged. The charger monitors the batteries, and every now and again gives them a bit of a shot. The red light comes on every so often for just a moment.

You can see where the extension cord plugs in there on the left. When you unplug it, there is a "key" that fits into the two slots you see above the cord and makes the connection to let things run and it covers the round hole where the cord is sitting.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Is this the start of a new collection or will these "Shockers" be finding new homes? ;)

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Looks pretty clean and sleek, is that the one you are working on? Looks like you shine them up too.
Not the exact one, The exact one can be seen in my video Here ->

I hope he keeps them, From what I've heard they're awesome.. And run for ages on a single charge.

And Didn't they Supposedly "Have the power of a DuraForce" or something like that?

Personally, I think he should keep them... Maybe to even mow his lawn with them :bag:

-Stan

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is this the start of a new collection or will these "Shockers" be finding new homes? ;)
The shocking thing was that the wife actually said she liked them, especially the Lawn Boy!

I cranked the Lawn Boy up this morning and ran it over the front and back yards. It's amazingly quiet, and very light weight. Judy said she thinks she might like to use it rather than getting the gas powered one out and starting it.

I had a fellow stop by today who dropped off a snow blower he wants me to look at and had his dad with him. His dad said he was a Lawn Boy fan from way back and I think he might have considered it if it weren't for Judy talking about how she liked the green color and that she was going to be using it. I kept telling her that there was a red one just like it out in the garage, but I guess she likes green.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Makes my desire to find one of these even stronger. Perhaps the rarest of all Hondas. The HR17E.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts