My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello knowledgeable friends.

As the post title says, I need some advice on picking a lawn Tractor. Below is a pic of what I mow. It comes out to 3/4 acre. I mow it now with one of those $1k Troy Bilt 42” Lawn Mower, you get from Lowes. Without getting in to much detail, that is the most uncomfortable, slow, lawn scalping tractor i’ve ever had. But it was all I could afford at the time, 3 years ago. Now I can afford a better tractor.

Here’s some info about the terrain in the pic. The Skinny strip at the bottom is flat and bumpy. The side yard is Flat. Now for the tricky part, from the green bushes, in front of the house, to the Christmas Trees is a slope of about 35 to 40 deg.

To handle the slope i now mow from the 300ft mark to the 1014ft mark then to the 100ft mark. When I was younger I would mow on the side of the slope and sit on the side of the seat, over the rear tire and had no problem with traction.

So now lets look at what I want the lawn tractor to do. Not only do I want to mow that, but see that driveway that runs from the 650ft mark to the 900 ft mark? If there is any wind, when it snows, that becomes a 12 to 18” drift 100yrds long. So this tractor needs to be able to attach a snowblower.

So after hours of research, I’m leaning towards a John Deere S250 42” at $2500 and a Simplicity Regent 44” at $2500. I have both dealers locally. I’m leaning towards the JD because it’s snowblower looks a little better.

Another option I’m looking at is that I have a local Kubota dealer who has used tractors and since i’ll be mowing this property for at least 10 more years, should I go in debt and get something I know should last that long?

Any comments or opinions appreciated

Thanks
Lee

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Both tractors you list have low end k46 transaxel and might have long term problems with blowing snow or using to pull cart, also mowing up slope. It will give out on you pretty quick if slope is as steep as you say.

If it were me I would try and get a much higher end used garden tractor that can handle all you want to do. In either John Deere or Kubota. X500 series John Deere has k72, I'm not familiar with Kubota, just make sure what you get is a real garden tractor (no box store carries one) with a low hours not more than 800 hrs it should last well past the 10 years you want it too.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
X2 with Mike on looking for a X in John Deere or larger Simplicity. Those handle harder work better. The two machines you list are good, but may struggle with snow blowing. That said those machine will do fine with care! Best thing would be to look them both over and see which you prefer!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice!
I've been seeing some posts about the k46. It looks like I would need to go X320 or above, in the Deere brand, to get away from the k46. The X320 has a k58 and 48" deck. I also read a article were the Simplicity's free floating deck can get beat to death on bumpy ground. Now i'm leaning toward the X320.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a quick question. So do you think a x320 will last 10 years, snow blowing a 300' driveway, maybe 6 or 7 times a year?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just a quick question. So do you think a x320 will last 10 years, snow blowing a 300' driveway, maybe 6 or 7 times a year?
It might, a k58 is an upgraded k46, my question is how long is the slope you drive up and are you sure it's 35 to 40 degrees ?
The slope will be hardest on transaxel in summer heat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It might, a k58 is an upgraded k46, my question is how long is the slope you drive up and are you sure it's 35 to 40 degrees ?
I would say the slope is more 30 deg and about 35 ft from bottom to top. If i can find my old plastic protractor, i'll get a exact reading for ya.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Looks like a Christmas tree farm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I downloaded a angle app and officially it's 30 deg slope and I will be mowing that either at a 45 deg angle or straight across, not up and down. I tried up and down and it's a PITA trying to control the mower at the bottom of the slope.

At a 45 deg angle it's about 85 ft climb up the slope.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That will be a lot of stress on a k58, if you go that route it would be better to mow the slope 1st, heat is biggest killer of hydrostatic transaxels.

I still think I would buy a used X500 series that has much better transaxel, or used Kubota.
I would hate to see you get something to small that will quit on you in 3 or 4 years, those hydrostatic drives are very expensive. :2cents:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That will be a lot of stress on a k58, if you go that route it would be better to mow the slope 1st, heat is biggest killer of hydrostatic transaxels.

I still think I would buy a used X500 series that has much better transaxel, or used Kubota.
I would hate to see you get something to small that will quit on you in 3 or 4 years, those hydrostatic drives are very expensive. :2cents:
Well I have 3 choices to look at

New John Deere X320 with warranty $3800
2008 John Deere X540 322hrs $4500
John Deere X500 820hrs $3499

The cheapest kubota's run in the $7000 and up range.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I agree that I'd want something with a pretty robust hydro setup. If the X540 is in good shape, I might make an offer on that. 322 hours is not a whole lot. However, make sure to check the mower over thoroughly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
check out the Kubota line up at a dealer that does ag rentals. can get great deals on slightly used units.

yes cost a bunch more than any lawn tractor/mower, but can handle everything you talked about and will last more than the ten years. a selling point for then.

just my :2cents:

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
:bump:

Let us know what you decide.... We're excited for you! :2th:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts