My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy gave me a generator, he said it wont run!
It had set for a couple years since he has used it.
I have it here @ home, yesterday I thought I would give it a pull on the starter rope. It fired right up on the second pull. BUT, the carb run gas out of the bottom of the carb, real bad, and it flooded out quickly. I havnt had time to investigate yet.
sounds like the carb might be gummed up, what do you think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Sounds like maybe there is some crud built up in the needle and seat or possibly a saturated/leaky float. If you have an extra bowl gasket laying around, maybe pop the bowl off and clean the needle and seat out and check the float, otherwise a rebuild may be in order.
Another option is to make a strong mix of seafoam and gas, run it through, let it sit, run it some more. That worked for me once and saved a rebuild on the carb but a couple of years of sitting??? May be a carb rebuild.

You have plans for the generator?

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have plans for the generator?

I was thinking about keeping it around for my Daughter or Granddaughter to use during any power outage. we get that alot here.
also my Granddaughter has borrowed my generator in the past for there rodeo trips. I can let any of them barrow the little one.
My intention with the free one is to mount it on to a pressure washer frame that I have.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Be sure to pull the tube out before you pull the top of the carb, if you didn't know that already. Kits are cheap enough, i would go ahead and rebuild it while you are in there. If it were a lawn mower I might say just clean it out, the grass will always be there if that dont work, but a ginny, when you need it you NEED it.

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Be sure to pull the tube out before you pull the top of the carb, if you didn't know that already. Kits are cheap enough, i would go ahead and rebuild it while you are in there. If it were a lawn mower I might say just clean it out, the grass will always be there if that dont work, but a ginny, when you need it you NEED it.
Thanks for the input, and yes I agree!
A few years ago we had a power outage,caused by ice. I went to buy a Gen. "all sold out" I ordered one, 7 days later one came in at tractor supply co.. I got it home hooking it up to power cords, THE ding dang electric came on! I have one ready all the time now. :ROFL

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not to get off topic, but is that a '59 Rambler looking over that generator in your first picture?
No , its a 58, havnt had it long, I have been watching it for 30 years, finally got it and now Im not sure why I wanted it,:ROFL I will get some time to fool with it this winter.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmm..Lets see, coincidental product placement.. Who is Bailey Motor Sports? ;)

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice! You must be a proud Pop/Grandpa! Did you race too?
I raced 14 years, I didnt get as seriouse as these guys.
Lonnie has won four track championships, Matt hasnt yet ,but he will. Yal Im proud of them. thay buy the chassis, they build there own bodies and engines. Lonnie works at a speed machine shop,been there for years, he is the manager now.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I raced 14 years, I didnt get as seriouse as these guys.
Lonnie has won four track championships, Matt hasnt yet ,but he will. Yal Im proud of them. thay buy the chassis, they build there own bodies and engines. Lonnie works at a speed machine shop,been there for years, he is the manager now.
That's really something! What a great sport to get into and do. Very impressive!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Fast and Loud...I watch them but they can butcher some stuff up. At least the show shows them losing money on their junk restos! Remember the "Mirrored" drifter? (Insert puking emoticon here)

DR, its nice to see the mechanical skills stayed in the family!

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fast and Loud...I watch them but they can butcher some stuff up. At least the show shows them losing money on their junk restos! Remember the "Mirrored" drifter? (Insert puking emoticon here)

DR, its nice to see the mechanical skills stayed in the family!
Thanks, Im proud that the kids do have interrest in auto's,racing and auto body repairs.
My first Son and my two Daughters work with me every day, they manage and operate Ozark Auto Body for me, I turned the body shop over to them about 15 years ago, I still operate the wreckers. We are over 34 years in the bussiness. Please understand, Im not Braging, well maybe a little on my kids. BTW, 4 kids, three step daughters and 15 Grandkids, oh 2 Great Grandkids. I love them all

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
That's not bragging, just a proud parent! That's great there's a long family history there, and you have every right in the world to ...share :) that with anyone who asks, and thank you for doing so.

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I fooled around with the Genny, It started on the first pull. but gas run straight out of the carb. does that mean the float is stuck? while it ran I plugged in a drop light to the gen. outlets. the gen. is working! thats good news.
honestly, I have never been to good with carbs.
I have a friend that works on small engines as a side line income. he has the 76 LB and a weed eater right now of mine. I will take the big genny and the small genny to him next week for service and general attention.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Probably needle and seat or a bad float or both.

Out side of the box: have you checked the rubber hose going to the carb? might be dry rotted but if its just leaking when you run it, probably the the other.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts

I just noticed, is that the engine shut off? The little tab by the spark plug that looks like you push down to kill the engine. I bet it could get exciting if things got a little wet?!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts