My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new pair of blades for a 42" husqvarna, craftsman ect. The five spur center.
I have no intention of bagging.. And I don't plan on raking too much.

Over the years I have mowed, casting clippings toward the outside.
However, I have always made the seasons last run in a reverse pattern which results in a pile of stuff that I end up raking.

Walmart online of all places has a deal on a pair. It seems the brand is maxpower
My question is how well do the gator type blades work year round in a natural yard?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
They work well for us. I have them on a couple of machines, my Yard-King bagger I installed them. Of course we mow a lot more than a normal person as we are test mowing a lot of the times!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have gator blades on my Husqvarna 2454 [ 3 blade- 54"] . Love these blades. Run them all year, but I don't bag. I like the way they cut with the side discharge, the grass kind of "lofts" out instead of blow a thick pattern. In the fall with my mulch set-up it does a great job. In a pinch, they work better if you have to mow damp or wet grass. Have them on my push mowers also. The older Husqvarna style did not work as well as the true gator blades.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maxmag, that's what I hoped to hear. I have never bought a set of gator blades, i usually buy the heavier standard style for my needs. I also often "open up" my side discharge chute via a bungee as to make a more broad casting. (Safety alert)

I live on a property that I've been taming for several years and have been thru a few pieces of equipment. I'm to the point of having two durable mowers. One for rougher stuff and the one in question for finish work. So the gator blade is all purpose , not just for bagging. Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have my chute trimmed to half length to help with that effect. One note, mine were listed to be direct fit. [on garden tractor] They were, but they had a 1/2" lower drop. I had to adjust my deck to make it cut the same as it did on my old lever settings. But then I am kind of a nut-case about that stuff! [LOL] My other gator blades were same off-set as the originals.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a Husqvarna 4623 Z-turn and run G5 gator blades year round, I also have the mulching plug installed all season, as long as you don't let grass get too long it does a great job, if I let it grow a few extra days it will clump some.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts