My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I found this odd little mower in a swap meet at Dunstable Mass. It's a GEMCO Special 19" with a Clinton VS200. I have some old magazines that mention Gemco, but nothing like this one, and nothing's on the internet either. It's got a big hole blown through the pot metal deck, but it runs pretty well, when it'll start... It was seized when I found it. Can anyone shade some light on this odd little mower, I plan on returning it to service again. It's in pretty nice shape. I like the looks of it. Just have no information at all, nobody I ever met even heard of a Special. I'll get some better pictures tonight. Thanks,

Spenser.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here are the side tags, still have to get some good ones outside... This was yesterday when it was sitting sideways.

Spenser

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here we go... Now comes the odd part... I have seen rear discharge models, the twin side style, but never one like this...

Spenser.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Neat looking old mower. Does the handle flip over all the way so you can push it in either direction?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, it does. Nice feature, but mine has a broken wheel mount casting, so I just push one way now.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
It's such a unique mower, I'd be tempted to find someone who could repair that broken casting. I like how someone scratched "Fast",with an arrow, on the shroud to take the doubt out of it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, so would I, but after running it yesterday, I found it cut way, way too low! It's pot metal, too... So that would be difficult, but if I could, I certainly would. It sure cuts well, and has power though...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well, here she is. But now I have another question... A friend want's it, bad... Very bad! He has an old, rather beat Dynamark 8-36 4 speed. I don't think it's an equal trade, but have you any ideas? I got it running good now, even has a nearly new blade, with proper coloring too! I like this little mower, barely weighs 10 pounds!

Spenser.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This Gemco reminds me of my first mower.
$75, brand spanking new, this was long before CraigsList or any computer..., $75 was a lot of money...
And the spark plug wire also had no insulation at the end....a defect...the deck was magnesium (I was told)....very brittle....but I cannot remember the brand....

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
If you are into older riders, you may be interested. Heres one that went for $50 on EBay.
I say if you like yours and you are interested in the Dynamark just buy it off of him and keep yours. It also depends on condition, is his cherry or yard art? It's up to you! ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bah, just what I was thinking. I suppose I'll keep her. Now that I see that other one... I have proof to tell him that it's nothing extraordinary! I haven't seen another like it either...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts