My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I purchased a replacement Gator blade for my Toro 8-32 riding mower with a 32" cut. The blade that was on it was, I'm guessing a stock blade. The grass had the telltale signs of bad/dull blade so I decided to go for it and get one as my coworkers all swear by it. So the following is my review of this blade that is being installed on a 26 year old Toro rider.

First impression:
Out of the box I can tell you that it is considerably more robust than the stocker. The blade is about 3/16 thick which is about double the thickness of the blade that was on the mower. The cutting surface was nice and sharp even with the factory applied paint. The chopping fins? that are on the back edge of the blade are sharp and robust as well. I am impressed with the looks and feel of this blade.

First mow:
After waiting 3 days of torrential downpour, I was given a dry(ish) morning to get my grass cut. By this time the grass was 6-8inches tall in some areas and still very wet. As this was the only dry day for the week I decided to go for it and really test this blade and its mulching and wet grass capability.

The clippings were mulched so fine they sank down into the lawn and no piles were left behind. In the yard I placed some smallish twigs (around 1/2" diameter) to see what it could do....It chopped them up with ease as well. The grass tips were cut clean with no brown edges and even mowing in wet grass at a fairly fast rate, the blade didn't miss any grass.

This thing was amazing in the wet so I am going to assume that it will be even better once the grass is dry.

Conclusion:
This blade is a well built AMERICAN product! I am very impressed and bought a second one as a spare to switch them out for sharpening.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Thanks for the right up. I've heard nothing but good things about the Gator blades, and good to hear that you were satisfied. Hope you post again as you get more use on them, especially after things dry out for you.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am not a big Toro guy, but I would guess that is an 8hp mower with a 32" blade? Is the blade 32" end to end, or does it have two blades to make up that width? If it is a single 32" blade, then golee that blade has to have some tip speed on it! A lot of the new commercial ride on mowers have many small diameter blades which spin at insanely high rpm in order to mulch through large materials and create enough vacuum lift on a flat deck.

If you ever get the chance, you ought to see what a Snapper Hi-Lift blade and a snapperizer, or mulcherizer will do! I have mulched entire trees with those combinations. THE THICKER THE BLADE THE BETTER. I have a Yazoo Big Wheel S24 mower which has a single 24" blade which is 5/16" thick. It is designed to do some serious chopping! The blades on my snappers are 3/16" thick as well. The more mass, the more inertia and torque the engine can really give into chopping some debris up! I have only once bent a blade, and that was when I hit a water main cap on a customers property. The blade sheared that 4" pipe clear off and the engine kept running! Imagine that with a plastic deck Honda :sidelaugh

Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is indeed 8hp with 32" cut. It has a single blade...and its huge.

I am not a big Toro guy, but I would guess that is an 8hp mower with a 32" blade? Is the blade 32" end to end, or does it have two blades to make up that width? If it is a single 32" blade, then golee that blade has to have some tip speed on it! A lot of the new commercial ride on mowers have many small diameter blades which spin at insanely high rpm in order to mulch through large materials and create enough vacuum lift on a flat deck.

If you ever get the chance, you ought to see what a Snapper Hi-Lift blade and a snapperizer, or mulcherizer will do! I have mulched entire trees with those combinations. THE THICKER THE BLADE THE BETTER. I have a Yazoo Big Wheel S24 mower which has a single 24" blade which is 5/16" thick. It is designed to do some serious chopping! The blades on my snappers are 3/16" thick as well. The more mass, the more inertia and torque the engine can really give into chopping some debris up! I have only once bent a blade, and that was when I hit a water main cap on a customers property. The blade sheared that 4" pipe clear off and the engine kept running! Imagine that with a plastic deck Honda :sidelaugh

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts