My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the most effective ways or techniques that you use for removing gasket material off of engine parts and components?
Do you have different methods for different material such as aluminum vs. steel?

·
1,329 Posts
I use Roloc/ 3M system, there are different disc for different projects, such as hard steel and soft metel.
We need to never get to agressive on any clean up project.
Here is a sales site for various applications. I dont buy in bulk, I get what I need as I need it over the parts counter
Allso , for a gasket surface, I never use a gringing disc application, I do use a more pliable / soft fiber disc.
roloc 3m - BuyCheapr.com

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
:ditto:

I agree 100% Doc!

As long as one has piped air or a compressor and doesn't use too aggressive Scotch-Brite discs. I use brown for cast iron and steel and maroon or green for aluminum. Using the brown on aluminum WILL remove too much material and destroy mating surfaces in quick order...

·
1,329 Posts
:ditto:

I agree 100% Doc!

As long as one has piped air or a compressor and doesn't use too aggressive Scotch-Brite discs. I use brown for cast iron and steel and maroon or green for aluminum. Using the brown on aluminum WILL remove too much material and destroy mating surfaces in quick order...
I also use a varible speed Batt.drill or impact. mostly on the aluminum.
Those pads also work good for cleaning paint and surface rust from lawn mower parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.