My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
My maternal grandfather made his own electric mower from stuff he had around the house. He built a wooden deck (he was a carpenter by trade) and used a washing machine motor with an extension cord. My mom still tells stories about it, but it was gone by the time I came along. From what I've heard it was heavy, under powered, and with a motor that only turned 1750 RPMs, had a slow blade speed and didin't cut well, but it was a freebie!

I had an opertunity to use a modern electric Black & Decker mower about 4 years ago. It was a few years old, but did a decent job on the trailer park sized lot of an old gentleman I helped take care of. There is a learning curve in how to handle the cord, but they would be a decent choice in a place like a trailer park where the lot size is tiny, storage is tiny, and still give a good result. Worked better than I thought it would.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Gas powered, but if I have to I will use an electric in a pinch.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I prefer gas powered over electric because of power, and due to having a large yard where it would be hard to get a long enough extension chord.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gas powered for me, but I still love dragging out that GE once and awhile to do the parts where the cord can reach.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Although I do find it interesting to watch my brother's electric mower (battery powered) running around mowing the grass on its own. When it gets low on power it goes back to the charger and charges its self in about 30 minutes, then continues to finish up the yard (75 by 150 ft).

But since I have two acres, I prefer to use a gas mower.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I still use gas powered 2 cycle smoke belching lawn mowers simply because the EPA doesn't like them. I also use an old Briggs 6S powered Excello reel mower.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts