My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think someone tried to sabatage a riding lawn mower. I first checked the oil dip stick and found the level was wayyyyyy over the full line. Also a heavy smell of gas and thin viscosity.

Is it possible to just drain the oil and all will be ok??

Tia.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Probably you have a stuck float in the carburetor. This allows gas to fill the bowl and continue into the sump, filling it with gas. Certainly drain the oil of all that junk, but you will need to address the carb problem for a complete fix. There are lots of posts on here about this same condition. Use the SEARCH feature to find the one that fits your problem. This is no big deal, but it sure is an annoying one. A semi solution would be to put an inline shut off valve between the gas tank and the carb. After you install that, close it. Then drain the oil and gas mixture. Refill with good oil. Open the valve. Start the mower and mow the grass. When done with the grass, shut off the valve. No gas can leak into the sump and thin the oil. The carb will need to be addressed at some point. Good luck.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto: Just cross your fingers and hope nothing was hurt too bad.:^: You probably have a stuck/crushed float, as pythons said.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Yes do a carb service and for insurance do that shut off valve

Post up if that works!!! :ThumbUp:

·
Registered
17 Posts
It most likely needs needle and seat replaces on carb float.

You can sometimes get by with just new needle (assume it is rubber tipped) but to do it with for any long term fix, you need to replace brass seat also.

Getting more and more of these due to the lousy gas we are being sold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts