My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the greenhouse re-covered a couple of days ago. Hope to get some tomato & marigolds started in a few days.

Daffodils are in bloom now, planted potatoes (Kennebec & Yukon Gold) & yellow & white onion sets today.

Chipped up the winter's brush pile today too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Must be that time of year for green houses, mine has a new hole in the roof. Sounds like your off to a good start!

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Our daffodils and krokus are blooming now. I did not get any garden in last year but going to try again this year. I just picked up some lettuce and melon seed so far. Next I need to get the tiller dug out of the back of the shed and see if I can get it in the ground since I only dug things up once last year. With our clay soil it will be rough going for the first pass.

The more I read about contaminated food at the market the more motivated I get to make time to grow some of my own.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
My small plot tilled up nicely for being mowed all last year. Soil moisture was just right today for it. :cool

Also was able to start up three of the mowers for the first time this year with only a little grief from the old MTD mulcher. I doubt I had run it since August last year and the gas had went a wee bit South even with stabilizer. ;)

Tiller took about 6 pulls with some fresh gas mixed in and I doubt I had run it since spring last year. A good day! :2th:

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
It's spring leaf pick up time here, so the wife and I spent some time cleaning up all the leaves and garden debris to get ready for the city to take. Someday we'll live where we don't have to do this anymore, but thankfully we have a chipper/shredder that chops everything up so we don't have a gazillion bags.
This was the last of what we had and it mulched down to those 5 bags. (but we already had 17 bags done!)

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Not mandatory, but Rock Island is a no burn city, and with the number of trees and clean up from the garden we have, it's pretty nice to have the city come and pick up the yard waste for free. Otherwise we'd have no place to dispose of it without paying, and there's too many seeds and unwanted stuff in it to uses as compost. The city does the same in the fall and provide the bags for free. It's only done for about 3 or 4 weeks in the spring, and again in the fall, and you just have to put it out on the normal garbage pick up day. You can pay for yard waste pick up the rest of the year if you want. It's our tax dollar at work.:2th:

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Ok, that's cool. Do they cook it and compost it ? They do that here and give away for free or at least they use too when I lived in Orlando. Now I compost my own.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally getting some much needed rain here; 3/4" a couple of days ago, 1-1/2" so far last night & today! More on the way tonight & tomorrow. Got my 275 gallon tote set at the corner of the house yesterday, it's full already! ~~ grnspot

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Ok, that's cool. Do they cook it and compost it ? They do that here and give away for free or at least they use too when I lived in Orlando. Now I compost my own.
Ya' know, I really don't know what they do with it on the Illinois side. Over on the Iowa side they have a huge composting complex, and Iowa residents can drop their yard waste off there.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got my new water barrel & tank in place at the back corners of the house. The tank still needs the outlet plumbing done & I'll use dog-ear fencing to hide it. Gives us over 300 gallons of rain water for plants! ~~ grnspot

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you use a pump or is it gravity feed to the garden?
Gravity, these will be used mostly for pots close by. If the tank behind my tool shed doesn't fill fast enough, I may run a hose from this one to fill it. This one will fill with1-1/2" of rain, the other big tank only has run-off from a 10' toolshed! ~~ grnspot

Attachments

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Got my new water barrel & tank in place at the back corners of the house. The tank still needs the outlet plumbing done & I'll use dog-ear fencing to hide it. Gives us over 300 gallons of rain water for plants! ~~ grnspot
I have a 450Gallon rain barrel setup made out of recycled 55Gallon olive barrels.

They work incredibly well.

-Stan

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Nice garden Brandon, how many marigolds would you recommend for a garden and what varmints or pests do you use them for?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts