My Lawnmower Forum banner

Garage Sale, Flea Market, Swap Meet Poll (Multiple Choice)

• Do you go to Garage/Yard Sales?

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Do you go to Flea Markets?

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Do you go to Swap Meets?

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Do you search by other means?

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Would you like a place to share your find?

Votes: 5 35.7%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Garage/Yard Sale, Flea Market, Swap Meet Poll
We would like to know if our members enjoy looking for that awesome find, whether its at a yard sale, a flea market, swap meet or some other place. We would also be interested to see if our members would like a place to show off that awesome deal or find and be able to share the story that goes with it.

Feel free to post any other places or methods that you have luck at finding your treasures here in this thread.

This poll will end 11-30-2012

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody have any secret techniques on finding old iron awaiting restoration??

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Craigslist (local) and E-bay and if I know there is tools and "toys" an estate auction

I dont have time to ride around to yard sales and the flea markets around me are people selling new stuff and using the flea as a "store front" or they have total junk that Im not interesed in

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Craigslist (local) and E-bay
Pretty much same here.

Usually if there is something in particular that I'm looking for, I'll often post some want ads around in the appropriate places. :)

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Craig's List is either my best friend, or worst enemy, depending on how look at it. Garage sales and estate sales that are advertised as having mowers are sure bets to get my attention.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Ohh yes, I've definitely had my fair share of experiences before with Craigslist. It's a wonderful thing Craigslist is, but you also run into a lot of, let say interesting folks.

The most odd experience was a few years ago when I was selling my MKIV VW GTI that I had for a while and this party that came out to look at it who went through it as if it had a secret compartment of gold hidden in it somewhere that I didn't already know about. It was a family of three, husband, wife and a son that came out to look at it and they seemed to love it, but you wouldn't believe what happened after three hours of it. After looking it over in the driveway for an hour top to bottom and asking questions, they decided to finally take it for a test drive. The hubby wanted to take it on the freeway and being that they were not familiar with the area, I told them that I would go with. Unfortunately of course the guy did not know how to drive a manual very well so that in itself was an experience, especially lugging the motor in 4th gear at 1500k while going up a very steep hill. Not sure how the engine didn't stall, but at the time I didn't say anything about it because they seemed so interested in it that I thought, well it's not going to be my car much longer! They seemed to love it the more we went and after driving it on the freeway for a while, they even wanted to go further and do some more around town driving. The test drive ended up being an hour long. Yes, an hour. It didn't bother me too much because again, they seemed to have fallen in love with it and I basically considered it sold. Anyway, after we got home it was about another 45 minutes of looking for that secret compartment of hidden gold. Where was it?!? It is great that they were so inclined to check out the car, you should and need to be when buying a used car, but going to the point of actually asking me to remove some of the interior panels to inspect the speakers is starting to push it a little on a newer car. So, after three hours of looking at the car top to bottom with a magnifying glass, praising how much they liked it and going for an hour long test drive what do they say?? Something that you wouldn't believe it if I told you. He says "My wife is not looking for a car like this." Are you kidding me? What a HUGE waste of both our time and very inconsiderate. It's one thing to do that at a dealership, but don't go to a private party at somebody's house, take three hours of their time while showing complete interest in the car as if you're going to buy it only to say you're not in the market for that type of car.

One thing that I don't understand about a lot of folks from CL is why many cannot seem to be able to commit to the agreed upon meeting time. It has not been unusual to see a lot of them show up an hour or two before or after the agreed upon time without any given notice. It's risky doing that on their end because there may not be anyone home when they show up making it a complete trip in vain for them.

Usually when I post a CL ad I'll put "price is non-negotiable", but of course when they show they act as if I wrote "let's haggle on a price when you get here!" in the ad instead. Sometimes they haven't come with the correct amount of cash either thinking they'll get it for a lower price all of which means another trip on their end.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
So, Austen, did you ever find that secret compartment after they left?:)

Not really a nightmare, more funny than anything. I had a guy come over to look at a little 1969 MTD 7 horse power lawn tractor I had refurbished. The guy was a collector of those old Gravely tractors, but the ad for the little MTD sparked his interest. He hung around so long and shifted his feet so much, I was to the point of telling him to come get me in the house after he was done kicking the tires.:) He didn't buy it, but a nice family who was looking for a mower that their teen age son could pick up some extra money with did. The son was with them and he was very enthusiastic about the whole deal. The husband was thinking about dickering on the price, but his wife told him it was a good deal. Hmmm...maybe I didn't ask enough, anyway, everybody was happy in the end.:cool

Then there are the folks who leave their item listed after it's sold. Or, don't list a phone number and never respond to your email inquiries, or don't answer the phone and don't call you back when you leave a message. Grrr....:mad:

·
1,329 Posts
I need to install a sign on the rear of my tow truck(this vehical slowes to a crawl @ all yard sales)
flee-markets have some decent tool prices from time to time.
Car and Tractor swap meets are my favorit's.
Mostly, I enjoy the back roads while transporting vehicals in my line of work, I see more rusty items then you can imagine, always great purchase deal and many free projects.
I have a soft spot in my heart for rusty old stuff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.