My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HRM215 Serial# MZBB 6042129.
What does the "petcock" do?
I see the throttle lever activates something on it-does it shut the fuel off when in the stop position?
Just curious-new to the Honda mowers.
Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
7,358 Posts
No problem.

The petcock is the fuel shut off valve. If you turn it to the "off" position, you can run the fuel out of the carburetor. This is great for times like winter when the machine isn't going to see much use and you want to prevent the carb from potentially gumming up inside.

The throttle lever simply activates the throttle. It has nothing to do with the control of the fuel flow itself, even in the off position.

Let us know if you have any other questions of if something doesn't make sense.

·
Super Moderator
6,139 Posts
Hi Hipster. I think I know what you're talking about. Is it like the one in the picture below? I've never seen them on any other mower than the HRM215s that I've worked on myself. There were some models of Honda HRM215s that had a fuel shut off that is activated by the arm on the throttle control rather than a separate shut off like most mowers that we're used to. Since Honda recommends that you shut the fuel off after using your mower, I can guess this was intended to make that job a little simpler so the operator didn't even have to think about it. In fact, they don't even mention it in the owner's manuals for those models. Later versions had the typical twist type fuel shut off in the fuel line.

You're probably looking at a flat piece of metal that the throttle control arm pushes against as you move the throttle lever at the handle, and that flat piece is attached to a plunger in the petcock at it's top. That plunger does shut the fuel off on that mower. When you move the throttle away from the off position, it opens the plunger, letting the fuel flow.

The HRM215 is a pretty nice mower, and it has the GXV140, which is a great engine. I have the shop manuals for the mower and the engine if you have any questions about them.

Is your HRM215 a push, or does it have the two speed transmission?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How can you drain carb?
I have the two speed....... ...will it mow OK in the higher speed?
I have another post about the speeds issue I am having.

·
Premium Member
7,358 Posts
Your float bowl should have two bolts, one on the side near the bottom and one directly underneath. You can use the one on the side to drain the bowl, or, remove the bowl altogether to drain it via the one on the very bottom. Keep in mind that you'll need to either have the tank completely empty when you do this or have the fuel shut off valve, if you have one, in the off position for obvious reasons. If you have the shut off valve, the easiest way to run the gas out is to turn the valve to the off position and let the engine run until it dies and the carb will have been drained.

I went through your thread regarding the transmission, is the second speed not engaging? To answer your question, it should work in most situations unless say the grass is really tall and wet and you need to hit it at a slower speed to prevent it from bogging down.

·
Super Moderator
6,139 Posts
Like Austen said, there are two bolts on the underside of the carb. The one that is right dead center holds the bowl on the carb. The other one that's off to the side is the drain. 10mm wrench fits them both.

With the kind of petcock you have on that mower, if you want to drain the carb of fuel, you'll have to remove either of the bolts on the bowl. Unfortunately, in order to stop the flow of fuel on your mower, you have to turn it off, so there isn't a way to run the carb dry with the engine running.

With the speed control lever on the handle bar fully to the stop position, the petcock should be closed, and the flow of fuel shut off. One way to find out for sure is to take that drain bolt out of the float bowl. If gas stops coming out of the bowl in a short time, the petcock is working just fine.

Whether you can mow in second gear depends on the condition of the grass. Tall, thick or wet grass, maybe, maybe not. You'll just have to try it and see.

Did you get the issues with the transmission figured out?

·
Super Moderator
6,139 Posts
Having nothing better to do, I did a "How It Works" for the control on some of the GXV140s on Honda's HRM215s. It's a pretty slick contraption, actually.

The control is in the "Off" mode in the picture. The throttle lever is forward, the petcock is closed stopping the flow of fuel (blue arrows), and the engine shut off switch is in the off position grounding the ignition.

As the throttle lever is moved from the off position, it pulls the engine shut off switch back, allowing the ignition to function. It also pushes against the flat metal lever at point A, pivoting it so that the plunger, at point B moves, opening the petcock and allowing fuel to flow from the fuel tank to the carburetor. When the throttle lever is moved to it's rearward most position, it connects with the choke lever at point C, closing the choke. There are two screws at the bottom front edge of the control. One is for adjusting the choke activation, the other is for adjusting the high engine speed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That's what I was looking for!
A picture/diagram of how that valve works.
Will look for bolts to drain and test pet **** valve.
I still have not fixed the fast speed issue...... yet.
I will not need it I walk slow the way it is now.
Just thinking of my kids wanting a second gear.

·
Super Moderator
6,139 Posts
Great, then I did something worth while today!:cool Something better than installing the shower door that took longer than I wanted.:dunno:

It's pretty hard to see how that thing works while trying to work the throttle lever yourself. Pretty much have to have somebody else work the lever while you watch down next to the engine.

·
Super Moderator
6,139 Posts
Here's what the bowl looks like, and the two bolts we're talking about.
The one in the center holds the bowl to the carburetor. That one that's off to the side is the drain bolt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.