My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped an 18.5 hp, twin cylinder briggs onto my JD 111. The old motor gravity fed fuel into the carb, the new motor has a fuel pump. It ran and mowed great last weekend. This weekend I got half done and it quit running. The motor quit getting any fuel and there was fuel leaking from the carb through what I would call a weep hole on the back of the fuel pump.
Should there be a problem using the gravity feed tank with the fuel pump motor, will fuel continually flow from the weep hole, or does the pump need rebuilt?
Thanks, Tom

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
My guess would be the pump needs rebuilt since it worked OK last week.

It is a good question though as to whether carbs fed by pumps pulling from a tank are different in design from gravity fed carbs. A question I don't really know the answer to. But I think most (all?) pump fed carbs with the tank lower have a vent in them to keep the gas from sucking out of the float bowl back into the tank once the engine shuts off. (Maybe some use a check valve instead?) So the flip side being when the engine is not running it would seem they might weep some gas if it can still get by the pump via gravity. A fuel shut off valve is a good thing to have anyway on a gravity fed setup once your float needle starts to get worn or otherwise leaky.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts