My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Briggs 17.5 blows oil out the side of fuel pump, it has hose from tank to carb and 1 other hose, I assume it is for vacumn to make pump work. Does anybody know if this is a bad pump or something else?

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Has the engine been tilted or run while tipped over or is the oil level to high (Overfilled)?
Fuel pump has three lines:
Gas tank to pump
Pump to carb
Pump to breather valve chamber cover (Source of vacuum to run the pump)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does is smoke or have any running problems when it gets warm? Can you make hard circle turns in both directions with it without oil fogging the area?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wonder if piston is bad? It's low on oil and blows out the oil filler tube then out the fuel pump. It does have quite a few hours on it. Can the piston be changed without spliting the case.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
No, you will need to split the case to take the rod bolts off to slide the piston out.

Do you have oil coming out of the breather tube that goes up into the bottom of the air cleaner? See if your air cleaner is soaked. Could be blow by from worn rings. You may not need to replace the piston if the cylinders are within specs. You might get away with honing the cylinder and replacing the rings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No oil coming out of breather tube under carb, just a **** of a lot coming out of oil filler tube to fuel pump. Spark plug doesn't look to bad either. Crankcase reed valve in one piece,Maybe I'll try the restore stuff before I tear in down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts