My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last October I was at a plow day a couple hours from home, mentioned to a "tractor friend" that I planned to go to an auction the next weekend to try to pick up a 56 RER for a Winter project. He told me he could do better, FREE! He called his local dealer & made arrangements for us to pick up a RER that afternoon. When we got there, this 68 was ready to be loaded. Though the seat was bad, tires flat & steering wheel broken, it's in over-all, good condition!

I brought it into the shop a couple months ago, found a used starter & had the carburetor rebuilt. Also repaired the broken spokes on the steering wheel with screws & epoxy. It runs & all gears work, good enough to restore instead of the project I originally planned for it.

Today, I am finishing the steering wheel & will start sanding the engine housing. Waiting on a new ignition switch before tearing it completely down.

I did get the the 56 the next weekend, it'll probably be my next project! ~~ grnspot
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,898 Posts
Free is always the best! Hmmmm there seems to something missing.... Oh yea, progressive pictures, :pics: yea thats what it is.. :sidelaugh
I think we are all looking forward to watching this resto project this winter. Thanks for the updates :cool Is nice to see people helping others out, that was a nice gesture on your friends part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got serious with the 68 today, so far, I've just been cleaning & paining the engine tin & shrouds & repairing the steering wheel. Today I stripped the mower down, washed it & cleaned a few parts.

I took several pictures to help put it back together, I hope! ~~ grnspot
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,119 Posts
This'll be fun to watch. They're always saying that they take lots of pictures on that show American Restoration. I usually get too into taking things apart to think to stop and get the camera out. Looks like Chief and Dottie stopped by to give their approval too.:2th:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty well down to the frame now! By the rust under the battery tray, it's had a busted battery some time. Going to take some work, but it'll clean up. Just hope I can remember where everything goes to put it back together! It'll be later this week before I get much more done! ~~ grnspot
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,898 Posts
Just hope I can remember where everything goes to put it back together!
Lots of pictures, video walk arounds and even notes will keep you out of trouble. Afterwords everything goes into labeled boxes and zip lock bags marked with permanent marker. Ask me how I know these things...:bag:

Looks like you're steamin ahead and its looking good! :cool
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,359 Posts
Cool project! That's wonderful to have friends like that.

Thanks for posting the progress! As others have said, this will be fun to follow!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been cleaning & painting the small parts, including the rims. Done with most of those, now for the frame. ~~ grnspot
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,359 Posts
Good work! Thanks for keeping us in the loop!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Frame is Painted with some parts put back on, "shroud" & "console" are primed, Hope to paint the green tomorrow & start putting it back together next week. ~~ grnspot
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the update, she's coming together quite nicely. It'll be nice to see the colors on the tins. Do you have the decals for it yet?
Fortunately, the decals were in good shape, so I was able to mask them off & save. Except for the "console" decal, which I had made here: Decal reproduction information

grnspot
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,359 Posts
Cool! Nothing like freshly painted parts.

Good job at saving the decals and creating the new one too. That is a fun thing to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I primed the shroud & console with Rustoleum "Light Gray Automotive Primer" (spray cans). Final sanding with 3M 400 grit waffle pads, then used my $50 HVLP gun to spray the JD "Ag Green". I was able to save the decals except the console decal which I had made by: Decal reproduction information. My compressor is 60' from my shop, so I lay hose across the drive to a pipe through the shop wall, the hook up the regulator/moisture trap inside the shop. ~~ grnspot
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks!

Probably be pretty much as it is. Though I do show them, I'm more into working quality over "professional finish"! ~~ grnspot
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top