My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear bad things about fram oil filters , why is that? I have never used fram myself for anything , only reason being they just aren't that readily available to me. any thoughts ?

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I've seen cutaways of Fram filters that show that they have cardboard endcaps. That seems to be the main objection that many people have.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
There have been quite a few reports of failures. Simply put, they're made cheap. There are better quality filters on the market.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Same with me! Dad always said stay away!!

Reactions: wh55

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Napa offers good quality filters. I also like K&Ns for their socket ends. Makes for easier removal.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Dad used Fram for years when he was commuting 70 mile a day and I did at first as well as Quaker State oil. Then we had to switch mechanics after ours retired and the new guys told us not a good idea from their experience with both. But I remember they pulled valve covers on one of the cars to do gaskets and were surprised how clean things were at least in the top end for over 100K miles given the oil and filter history. :dunno: But this was back 30-40 years ago. Maybe there was not that much difference personal preference aside back then on a cooler running low compression engine running mostly highway miles. No matter what you put in back in the 60's and 70's if you were much over 100-150K you were likely ready for valves and rings on American engines and getting a lot of blowby.

Blowby, there is something you don't see anymore with modern emissions to conceal it. I remember the International school bus I road in middle 70's. Every time they shifted gears a blue cloud puffed out the back. Common site then pre-cat days. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
NAPA GOLD filters are made by WIX. I use them on my Jeeps and the basic ones on my power eq. K&N on my motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I too use Bosch. I've heard good things. You pay a little more, but we know how that goes.... You get what you pay for (most of the time :))

1 - 10 of 10 Posts