My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't help it; I've been feeling nostalgic.

Two weeks ago I bought a pair from a fellow MTF member and expect to see them showing up next weekend. One is a Super Convertible (L8) and the other is a Model 5460, a 10 horse unit a bit similar to a Commercial 12 I spent many hours of great seat time with back in the 1970s. Both are largely / fully functional; the L8 will come with a rebuilt jug that needs attaching.

A couple of days ago I bought another brace of L model Gravelys locally; I'll pick them up this weekend. In time I hope these will yield one very nice dirt moving runner. One is another Super Convertible, around 1963, and the other is an older unit - I think it may be an L1 with the old style cowling; perhaps from 1960. I think both units have two speed transmissions and the parts unit is sporting a very nice set of geared reduction wheels. So what if the handlebars are gone. :ROFL

Here's a pic of the project L units:

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Wow!! Great find!

What size wheels are on the one with the AG's?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow!! Great find!

What size wheels are on the one with the AG's?
I don't know, but as far as I understand, the gear reduction wheels were all the same size. The reduction is 2:1 and the increase in wheel diameter seemed intended to allow the unit to move between one and 1.5 MPH, which is optimal for plowing new ground. Some users say that these units are too quick even with the GRWs added on. Later units accomplished the same thing with a high and low range transmission, which gave four speeds forward. The units in the pic simply have two forward speeds and in high gear, they can really rip along; you'd want to be riding in a sulky.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Next stretch of Gravely acquisitions for you! Nice to get the gear reductions included :cool

·
Registered
23 Posts
Four Gravelys in two weeks, nice! These tractors always have a way of bringing memories back to life. I've picked up a few L variants for the same reason. The GRWs were a nice bonus.

Best of luck with everything!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all!

I've found something interesting. The "complete" unit has a serial number on the tranny that equates to 1954 (no model number, which suggests a Model L). Yet it also has a low and a high range as well as low and high gear, which I would expect to see on an L8. Plus it has the Super Convertible hood tin, which could have been added at any time. I'll call it a 1954, but I bet I'll find sone surprises. I think it has a later engine for instance.

The other unit - most of a tractor - has a gas tank stating that it's an L1 and has a 1964 serial number. It appears not to have a low range and it has the old style tin, which is why I originally thought it was an older unit. Interesting...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been playing with the '67 Gravely C8 and a rotary plow. Powerful little sucker, but it sure makes you pay close attention to what you're doing. I'm pretty happy with this one - starts on the first or second pull (well, cold weather is a couple of seasons away still). Oil pressure is off the gauge high; either it's in fine fettle or there might be a little carbon buildup in the combustion chamber. Either way it's an eager little beast.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gravely used both low, and high pressure oil pumps on their tractors, low on early tractors, and high on later tractors. Your C8 has the high pressure system. It may be that someone installed a low pressure gauge on your tractor by mistake at some point.

Yes, Gravelys can bite if you're not paying attention. Glad to see that you're enjoying it. They do grow on you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts