My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Austen must have come to NY and got his truck...................
Just in front of entrance to my gym!! I was coming back to shop in work van and saw this monster. Think the pipes are big enough!? :dunno:

Reactions: Austen

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like a diesel in a drum!! When he took off ,it seemed kinda quiet?? Weird, expected a loud boom!?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Austen must have come to NY and got his truck...................
Just in front of entrance to my gym!! I was coming back to shop in work van and saw this monster. Think the pipes are big enough!? :dunno:
:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

Those look to be 8" tips! A little big for my tastes. Like a sewer pipe as you mentioned earlier!

When he took off ,it seemed kinda quiet?? Weird, expected a loud boom!?
Did he load more coal in it's boiler while stopped at the light or was it still an EPA approved setup? :ROFL
:sidelaugh

It sounds like it may have been a DPF back system then if it was quite on take off.

Thanks Eric.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Knew you would get kick out of it Austen!
Also expected some coal smoke on take off, none!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Also expected some coal smoke on take off, none!
No kidding.

It appears to be a clean burning truck still as the lower portion of the fenders do not show any black.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
I did not realize until recently they were putting particulate filters on the pickups. I thought that was something only used yet on Firetrucks or Squads as an addon since they are parking in a garage several times a day. Also figure maybe in new sales California they were required. But sounds like they are putting them on all. Even read where combines and farm equipment have them now.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Yeah, and on all pickups now you have to keep up with the urea fluid that they inject into the exhaust. Thanks to the EPA for making maintenance more expensive and complicated! :p :(

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Yeah, and on all pickups now you have to keep up with the urea fluid that they inject into the exhaust. Thanks to the EPA for making maintenance more expensive and complicated! :p :(
And detriment engine longevity and reliability. In addition to the DPF and urea system, modern EGR systems on diesel trucks inject the hot exhaust gases into an EGR cooler which is cooled by the engine coolant, then transferred into the turbo on regen to be burned off again. While this system is effective and cleans the air, the side effect is the impact of longevity to the engine itself in many ways because of it: breaks down engine coolant much quicker, causes high engine temperatures, high EGT's, carbons up the turbo which will eventually cause the vanes to stick, low MPG's and impacts performance across the board amongst other things. Combine on all that while pulling 20K+ pounds of trailer up a pass and it's easy to see why the longevity of your engine is going to go down hill.

I did a whole PowerPoint presentation on modern diesel emission systems for a class project a couple of years ago.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dr Diesel, thanks!! ;)
You know a lot more than I do on them!! :)

Reactions: Austen

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Amen Austen. Can't tell you how many EGR valves and coolers I've seen replaced over the past few years. Look in the intake of a new diesel and you wonder how this is really helping the engine. And now Tier 4 final is coming up to industrial and off road, meaning generators and construction equipment will be sporting DEF systems.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Look in the intake of a new diesel and you wonder how this is really helping the engine.
It's a sad and disgusting site for sure. While these systems are actually quite the engineering feat and produce some incredible results that would have been unheard of a decade ago in terms of low CO2 emissions, it is unfortunately creating a dirtier and much less efficient engine that has to suffer because of it.

We have to only hope that as technology advances, the designs of these systems will have less of an impact to the engine itself.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
... And now Tier 4 final is coming up to industrial and off road, meaning generators and construction equipment will be sporting DEF systems.
Great. :rolleyes: That means construction equipment will be moving around on the construction site hissing like a big snake or vacuum cleaner same as the newer over the road 18 wheelers. First time I heard one of them I thought the guy had backed into something and crushed his exhaust pipe. :bag:

I guess the good ole days of watching a job site are gone for good except for the old timers at shows. That reminds me Austen, I think I forgot to post this for you. I got a closeup 1 minute video of the old Uclid idling at the fall show antique tractor show. :2th:

With no one around close by it was almost more than I could resist not to climb up on it and see if I could figure out how to make it move! :D

I have a 270mb 4 minute video of him pushing dirt into a pile for the swing arm shovel to move around at this show too if your patient enough to wait for it to load from Photobucket. He's not as far away as he was in the last video I posted of him. I have not had the time to get any of last years shows posted to my website yet. :banghead:

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Awesome!! :ThumbUp: Thanks for posting this. You bet I would love to see the Euclid in action; once you get the time please post the link. :cool

Nothing like hearing a screaming Detroit, I'm sure that it was a blast to see and hear up close in person!

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Thanks Mark, those videos were fun to watch, and listen to. Can't see where today's emission requirements could have made that any more efficient or cleaner. Not like there were great billowing clouds of exhaust coming out of it.

Was there a kid sitting in the seat with that guy operating that bulldozer, or did you climb up there and hide behind the seat after taking that first video without the guy knowing about it?:2th:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is a 2 stroke diesel right? I remember hearing/seeing old trucks go by on highway with that sound!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Unless you have a fast connection this one will take a spell to download. Photobucket seems so slow compared to youtube.

Very cool!! I would have been like a little kid pressing his face up against a candy store window watching that in person.

I always love hearing a Detroit off in the distance and how it gives you the impression it's going 100mph only come to it's a heavy piece of equipment going 2mph.

That is a 2 stroke diesel right?
Indeed. :ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thought so, sounds so rev happy compared to todays diesels.
I remember seeing old GMC rigs go by sounding like that! Always liked the sound!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts