My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on CL and picked it up last night. We unloaded it this morning to go get a Murray . Dad swapped the oil drain that seemed to be reason guy parked it. Claimed it leaked all oil out. We tried to fire after and started right up and sounds good. Trans works good too. Will swap on the Three bin bagger as guy bought it and did not want bagger! :dunno:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Worked a little on it today. Put a drive belt and swapped the nose cone off the scrap hood we had. Dad painted it black like some Craftsman we had. Put the deck off my uncles tractor, forgot the blade brakes were removed as it was on a electric PTO tractor. Guess it was good for testing! Turns out the engine has good knock and smokes after idling, must load up on oil. It also acts fuel starved after 10 minutes as PO stated?? I am thinking of swapping the nice Kohler command out of square nose that is basically taking up space!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Say hello to the Franken-craftsman! Reminds me of an LT1000 I worked on a couple months ago. 17.5 HP Intek. That knock could just be a bad synchro-balancer, common issue.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well we can check that Briggs sometime for that issue vortec! Dad was busy today while I was at work! He took this off the square nose Craftsman we got in trade with horrid deck!

I just mocked wires up fast tonight. Runs as good as it did in other machine. Have to wire charge circuit, but everything else is a go!

·
Registered
507 Posts
"So what fuel system does the tractor have?"

"Uh...gravity feed with a fuel pump"

"What?"

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"So what fuel system does the tractor have?"

"Uh...gravity feed with a fuel pump"

"What?"
Put it this way vortec, it is a free engine that has mechanical fuel pump. We don't to text book swaps. No harm will befall it to have pump in system. I can always bypass it. Dad did the swap on his own and did it piece by piece. I would have bypassed the pump. Can't remove it being mechanical.
We don't do normal! :sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you could probably rebuild the engine with a new rod and crank, is it piston slap or actual knocking?
Hi my friend, not sure. Due to the smoke and knock, we swapped for a known good engine. The tractor it came out of has a bad deck, not been able to locate a good deck, so thinking of parting it out and scrapping it. Shame really, but getting too crowded with machines!

Well I just got home to find dad buttoned up the wiring and fixed the deck. He installed deck and was all ready to mow! I am the test dummy, so off I went!

Runs and mows nice! Burned off some oil in muffler, this is first real long term run of this engine! Also 90% out then! Mowed the whole yard and let it run a bit. It has good turning and brakes are a little soft yet. I checked the charging system, we went right to positive battery on solenoid. The volt meter shows charging!! SWEET!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Say hello to the Franken-craftsman! Reminds me of an LT1000 I worked on a couple months ago. 17.5 HP Intek. That knock could just be a bad synchro-balancer, common issue.
This is what I meant by Craftsman doing this same thing on nose cone!
Craftsman lt1000 lawn mower

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Painted the foot pans and installed the factory foot rests. Dad was test mowing and bent a blade on neighbors yard! Otherwise ran good and strong! We even installed a better seat, only issue is it is factory Ariens. It is imprinted with name at top!! Frankentractor it is now!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I detailed and buffed it. Also painted engine as it was looking shabby. Installed bagger and replaced one blade that dad hit a rock last night and bent it. He took my aunt out for her birthday, so I was solo for a change!! ;)

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
480 Posts
Man, night and day difference there. Someone's going to end up with a nice rider.

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys! My new coworker wants it and will trade nice bigger Craftsman!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Delivered it yesterday. The husband did not want to give me the other tractor due to family conflict. I took bagger off yet again! Will find a home for it someday!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts