My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am big time Aircraft lover. I love air shows and jets. This Russian jet is a picture I have of him doing this stunt! I just found the video of it! I thought it might have been faked but cool picture, now I know!!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Can you imagine those Gs!??

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
One of the military guys came to our local show a few years back and made a couple fly overs. Right over the top of us he turned the nose up and full throttled it up and into the clouds. I thought my stomach was going to rattle right out and fall on the tarmac! :ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Nice! Reminds me of when I visited the airfield in Houston.... They were doing an airshow and they had an F-14 Tomcat come out and do fly-bys and boy the rumble that came off of those engines was amazing! I've never felt anything like it in my life! To think man can create machines with such power....

We weren't meant to fly, But those jets sure can! :2th:

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
I live just over a mile, as the crow flies, from our local airport where they used to have an annual Air Show.

Back in the 80's, during one of these shows, I was standing out in the field near the edge of our yard while the Blue Angels were doing their thing.

I was looking towards the NNE (towards the runways) when I heard something coming from my due west. I turned to look and it was a lone Blue Angel flying low and slow, real low. I could clearly see the pilot and about fell out when he looked down at me and saluted.

I was so taken aback by this that all I could muster was a bewildered wave.

What he was doing was staying out of sight from the spectators until the moment he joined up with his fellow Angels, seeming to appear out of nowhere. I know he surprised the heck out of me.......

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I live just over a mile, as the crow flies, from our local airport where they used to have an annual Air Show.

Back in the 80's, during one of these shows, I was standing out in the field near the edge of our yard while the Blue Angels were doing their thing.

I was looking towards the NNE (towards the runways) when I heard something coming from my due west. I turned to look and it was a lone Blue Angel flying low and slow, real low. I could clearly see the pilot and about fell out when he looked down at me and saluted.

I was so taken aback by this that all I could muster was a bewildered wave.

What he was doing was staying out of sight from the spectators until the moment he joined up with his fellow Angels, seeming to appear out of nowhere. I know he surprised the heck out of me.......
Amazing!

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
It truly was, so much so that the image, in my mind, is just as vivid now as when it first happened.

I can picture his head looking over the edge of the cockpit with his helmet & dark visor, but the thing that really sticks with me was how clean, and shiny, that blue jet, with yellow stripes was. I don't think that it was possible to get it any cleaner. It glistened........

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a similar thing happen very long time ago. We were cutting wood on a hill top about 3/4 miles away from house. Was taking break and heard something through the trees behind us. Looked to see THREE C-130 National guard planes on tree tops!! They were practicing low level flight I guess!! We could see them looking surprised at us too!!

This F-22 was one I saw last year, some of the thrust vectoring nozzles let them fly backwards and vertical slides not able to be done by normal jets. Russia had this tech a while now also!

Russia version.

Reactions: bwdbrn1

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Years ago I was out installing Directv for a customer who's property back up to a small lake and park. I heard the National Guard helicopter flying around close and walked down to see what they were doing. They were flying only a few feet above and doing some hovering over the water for practice I guess. Next thing I know he turns around and is flying straight toward me on the shore. I had some tall trees and a house close behind me so I just stood there. He probably come within a couple hundred foot before he pulled it up and over me and the trees.

Even when you know they're friendly having one of those old Hueys barreling straight toward you at almost eye level is a strange feeling. Glad I was not the enemy staring them down. :2th:

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
That's when your glad their on our side! :sidelaugh

·
Registered
459 Posts
They call that a "sneak pass." It is regular part of their performance. The jet is flying at just under Mach 1 (sea level)...

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually its called the "Wake up call"! Been to many shows and at one I was able to keep this plane in sight. It was at Avoca airport in PA. It has great views on a plateau. I watched the Blue angle go over mountain and floor it by black tint of exhaust in binoculars! He was Hauling by time he popped over little hill and scared everyone!
Here is a cool takeoff by one!

·
Registered
459 Posts
So share your aviation experience(s)...

I was enlisted aircrew in the US Navy flying on P-3 Orions, hunting Soviet submarines in the Atlantic:

Later, I got some seat time in some fun aircraft as part of my job with Honda:

AT-6 Aeroshell Team:

Red Knight CF-33 Silver Star (former Canadian Air Force):

Race90 (another AT-6) Race Aircraft

Awesome VIP ride on a B-17 "Aluminum Overcast" at Oshkosh in 2009:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is finally a Blue Angels wake up call!

Reactions: snowworks

·
Registered
217 Posts
F-16 Fighting Falcon

I like Aircraft also and have been to a few air shows. The USAF Thunderbirds I got to see at our air show at the Willow Run Airport. They are flying the F-16 Falcons. They do scare the heck out of you when they come by with full Afterburner.. And the G force when they pull straight up must be 6+ on that 90 degree turn. The Pilots got to be in top physical shape for the G suit to do there job and not black out or get sick. I also see them way back when the Thunderbirds were flying the T38 jets. I have also seen the Blue Angles.
Well you know The Pilots and there Crew Chiefs Got to be top Notch and keep the planes spit shined and top condition.!!
The Willow Run has a Museum that has a flying B17. So during the summer do get to see that fly over some. Rumbling away!! Other prop planes also..
How about this Jacks Links Screamin Sasquatch Biplane. It has the Radial prop motor then a Jet Turbine also. He did a show at the last air show I was at. The sound did not compute to what my eyes saw. GREAT show!! Just strange what you heard.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
?? WOW!! Never heard nor saw this plane!!!
Super cool and fast!! :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
F-4D Phantom

[email protected] Those AT-6 Those look like they were a little newer than the P-51 Mustangs. It seams like alot of people like the P-51. That air show I was at in Willow Run there was 12 P-51 that flew in. !! Get a ride in the back seat is great.. Nice to get a perk like that from Honda.. I am not real up on the planes Years ECT..
Here is another story I was in the USAF and Stationed in Utah. Had F-4D E jets. Later we were the first to get the F-16 fighter. I was a Crew Chief. As a Crew Chief you get assigned a plane. The plane flew all of its missions and was up and ready to go. SO we got Crew Chief of the quarter. With that, a flight in the back seat of the F-4.. Did some barrel rolls, Loops, a few bombing type attacks runs. 5 Gs IT was very KOOL. Being a Crew Chief after a engine change you would half to run it up. Use a tug and pull the plane out to the blast fence. Tie it down. Some times it was at night, get both engines up and running. Do our checks run them up to full thrust. Then light the Afterburner!! Light the night up and feel the ground shake!!
Got to see an SR71 come into the base once. Could not get to close. That was guarded at the time. Good Memories !! :2th:

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts