My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Toro mower (mentioned in this thread: http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/for...785-battery-question-electric-start-toro.html) has been working very well so far -- that is...until I washed it a bit too exuberantly last night after using.

I've done this successfully many times but admittedly I was way more thorough on that washing and very likely didn't pay enough attention to exactly where the hose was pointing while I was using my usual stick and wire brush.

The result is that I now have an almost new and -- now very clean :D -- mower that won't start. I tried repeatedly yesterday (I always run it after washing to help dry it) with no luck so I removed the spark plug. I also took off the air filter but it was completely dry -- apparently I managed to miss that with the hose. The plug was wet with gas so I dried it off and left it out overnight.

Before I put the plug back in today I squirted a bit of starting fluid in the hole, assembled all, and it started, albeit reluctantly. It ran for about 30 seconds and then died. No luck since then, so right now I have the plug out again and the mower sitting in the sun.

What might I try next?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
The fact that it started up with the starting fluid tells me that it's probably not something electrical (unless it has a fuel pump) since it's getting spark.

It sounds as if it's not getting fuel. Have you checked the obvious to confirm the tank has enough fuel in it to run? Could the fuel shut off valve maybe got switched to "off" while you were spraying it down?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, I have checked the obvious; there's fuel in the tank, there's no shut-off valve, and I tipped it correctly on it's side to clean...the mystery to me is that the only thing that was done -- between it's starting and running flawlessly to the current situation -- is that I washed it as mentioned above.

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
Some water might have got into the tank. You could try dumping out what is in the tank and refill it. After refilling you might have to try the starter fluid another time or so until the fresh gas gets into the carb. Want to be careful though with the starter fluid as that can be hard or damage a small engine as well due to how fast it burns.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Something worked, running like a charm again...(so far :D)
I suspect it was water where it shouldn't be.
Thanks, all!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh that problem will be back. Drain the tank and add fresh fuel. I usually drain a suspect tank into an old Mason jar so I can look for water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts