My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody use green slime or fix a flat in a can?
I remember using the fix a flat years ago and then needed to change the tire and it was a nasty sticky mess trying to clean the rim, once I took the old tire off.
the guy at the auto parts store mentioned that this newer green slime is supposed to be a bit neater, I don't see how?
I was thinking of trying an alternative till I get time to possibly putting some tubes in.
comments?

·
Registered
650 Posts
slime , fix a flat all messy for sure , the products do work for smaller leaks , rim leaks anything bigger like a longer slice ,bigger hole , won't do the job

·
Registered
552 Posts
Don't know what brand was used, but when I bought the JD 420 I used to have, it had a slow leak in a front wheel. Took the tire off & found a pencil lead sized hole in the rim & a lot of rust & goo! I cleaned up, epoxied the hole, repainted & use tubes in my small tires from then on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
We hate the stuff and use tubes only.

Reactions: grnspot110

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
I can't say that I've ever heard a good word said about the stuff when it comes to fixing leaks on outdoor power equipment. Seems to me that for the cost of a can of it, and the work involved in getting it cleaned up afterwards, that includes taking the tire off of the rim which you would do to install a tube anyway, just buy a tube and install it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We hate the stuff and use tubes only.
When you say "We" I guess you mean the frat club here on MLF :dunno:
OR is that the wife and you?:cool
Glad to hear that!!!! I thought it was just me!

Like Grnspot110 mentioned: Thats what I remember a mess for those odf us who like to fix things the right way!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Fix a flat or slime IMHO should only be used in an emergency and as a last resort for the reasons already stated. I can't think of one single emergency or last resort for a rider, your car or truck tire maybe but not a rider.

Reactions: grnspot110

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had liquid laundry starch in my tires for about 3 years. Works like slime but only costs a few bucks for a half gallon. One of my tires had side wall cracks bad enough to go flat in a couple of hours. I filled it with enough starch to cover the crack every time it rolls around. Since then it looses a couple psi every few months.
I don't think I'll every buy a tube again. After you go through a couple you might as well have just bought a new tire.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
I've had liquid laundry starch in my tires for about 3 years. Works like slime but only costs a few bucks for a half gallon. One of my tires had side wall cracks bad enough to go flat in a couple of hours. I filled it with enough starch to cover the crack every time it rolls around. Since then it looses a couple psi every few months.
I don't think I'll every buy a tube again. After you go through a couple you might as well have just bought a new tire.
Interesting. I've never heard of that before.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
it will probably work a bit better if you add some rubber chunks and bits of cloth in - im serious thats what makes the real slime work

·
Registered
26 Posts
I learned about it over on mytractorforum. I was about to buy a set of those mtd rear wheels with pre-mounted tires when I saw the thread. It sounded like I joke, but I figured what the heck if it didn't work I would only be out a couple of bucks. Three years later I'm still running the same tires and haven't had to add anymore starch.
Laundry starch in tubeless tires? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
The starch does freeze and stop working in the winter, but my lawn tractor spends winter sitting in my shed. Recently there was a guy talking about mixing black pepper, antifreeze, and starch, but I haven't experimented with it.
Black Pepper to stop tire leaks - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

·
Registered
32 Posts
Interesting, I've used coarse black pepper as radiator stop leak until I was able to pull the radiator and get it repaired or replace it, (and it works quite well I might add) but I've never heard of it being used for tire leaks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Has anybody else tried the liquid starch??
IT would be nice to hear 2nd opinion!!:dunno:
I am thinking about it on an old seat attachement with two shot tires:^:

·
Registered
58 Posts
fixer

i wouldn't use slime in my tractor tires if you gave me a gallon. i used it once and the next year the tire failed due to rupture. removed tire and rim was being eaten away by chemicals in slime. now have tubes in weather checked tires no problem. way to go for $7.50 four years now.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
i have slime in my toro 1232 rer rear tires, stuffs been holding air for about 2 years now and the best part is when i do put tubes in i just rinse the slime out because slime never dries, unlike fix a flat

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I tried this in the fall ( don't recall if the weather was cool yet) and didn't have steady luck. HOWEVER the starch I put in last fall seemed to of settled and taken well after sitting all winter. They seem to be holding great for 4-5 months so far.:dunno::2cents:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been running a starch/anti-freeze mix since last fall, didn't have to add any air all winter while plowing snow. :2th:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts