My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Can't say that I've heard of them before! They look more like a modern interpretation of a push style reel mower.

Maybe somebody else that has will chime in.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I have seen them on TV, but I don't know, for 200 I would spend about 50 more and get a good lil walk behind or push.

But if you get it tell us how it works :ThumbUp:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Here is the low-down on reel mowers.
- They do not cut tall grass well
- They do not cut wet grass well
- You need a perfectly smooth rolled lawn with no twigs, rocks or bumps in it
- The models with a grass bag do not catch grass clippings well as the reels do not throw clippings
- If they are not sharp, they will leave a sub-par cut
- If you bend the reel in any way, chances are it will be more costly to have the reel straightened then replaced.
- Count on sharpening to take a good solid hour of time

Now, you might say after reading this that reel mowers are horrible. In fact they are not. Reel mowers cut grass, rotary mowers slash grass. Reel mowers are manicure style mowers, which are perfect for golf courses, and very large flat rolled fields. You can cut at any speed with a reel mower, as the reel knifes have positive contact with the bed knife, so no matter how fast you push or drive a reel mower it will cut everything which passes in front of it - just so long as the grass is dry and not too tall. Reel mowers are finicky and require frequent sharpening and bed knife adjustment, but when set correctly, the cut is phenomenal. You can never match a reel mowers results with a rotary mower, as the cutting method is completely different. I have not used a fiskars reel mower, but have seen them. If they cut anything like their paper scissors, I would look elsewhere. There are a lot of great reel mower brands out there; including Locke, Coldwell, Eclipse, Pennsylvania, Toro and Motomower.

Chris

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Reel mowers are fine, except that the only ones that have engines are the high-end golf course stuff. Where's the fun in a mower without an engine?:sidelaugh:bag: That's the best part!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I wouldn't buy the "staysharp" I would buy the "Momentum" It is the best reel mower I've ever used... This sure isn't your grandpa's old reel mower... this thing will cut through anything and is as easy to push (Even in long grass) As a feather..

I would have one right now only my yard is far to big.

-Stan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wouldn't buy the "staysharp" I would buy the "Momentum" It is the best reel mower I've ever used... This sure isn't your grandpa's old reel mower... this thing will cut through anything and is as easy to push (Even in long grass) As a feather..

I would have one right now only my yard is far to big.

-Stan
Staysharp is the Momentum. For some reason, they changed the name.

Is it about the same effort to push as a non self propelled power mower? How much yard is too much?

Honestly, I have a hard time getting past the cost myself. I can buy a cheapie mower for $140 all day.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Yeah, I think that Fiskers knows it can get away with the high cost of their reel mower because there are enough people out there who are terrified at the prospect of maintaining a gas powered mower. For anybody who can take care of an engine, I think an inexpensive gas mower would be a better option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts