My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im torn about my first mower purchase,
this is the predicament im having, i currently rent one side of a duplex with a fairly nice yard, this year i decided to give my landlord a break and do the mowing and snow removal for him since him and his wife had a baby a few months ago. the reason for the mower purchase isnt really for this place, i plan on buying a house next year and i would like to have all of the lawn equipment purchases out of the way before the move i dont want to have to drop a bunch of money to do the lawn right after buying a house.
the question, what type of mower do i buy? the place im at doesnt have a huge yard but its open so i could use either a push mower or a tractor but i have no clue what type of yard i will have when i move, if i buy a push mower and end up with a big yard it will mean another purchase, if i buy a tractor and end up with a tiny or tight yard it will be overkill.
my other thought is to try a husqvarna articulating rider to deal with a tighter lawn if needed but will still work fine for what i have now, but thats the most expensive option.

any help would be greatly appreciated as i will end up making this purchase before the spring hits

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Kind of a predicament your in without knowing what you are going to get. Normally there are a lot of factors that go into the purchase such as yard size, hilly or flat, clear or full of obstacles. More things to consider are what else do you want to use your equipment for? Pulling a dump cart, running a blower, garden work (tiller, plow, disc)
I might consider getting a good push mower as you can always use it for tight areas at the new house even if you have a big yard, then you can decide on the larger equipment later.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
That is hard to say like FP mentioned, there a lot of factors that can go into it, especially if you plan on using the machine for other uses which would point in the direction of a tractor.

Probably the safest thing to do in my opinion would be to purchase a walk-behind mower, that way you'll still be able to mow your lawn no matter the type of parcel you move to. If you purchase a riding mower now and then move to a home with a really tiny yard, mowing in the tight areas with it could be next to impossible.

Then again if a riding mower does sound more appealing to you then you could probably sell it later on and put the money towards a nice walk-behind. A zero turn might also be something you might want to check out as well.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I would go with an inexpensive walk-behind since you don't know what kind of yard you're going to end up with. If you do end up with a large house, you can either sell it, or keep it for trimming work. Buying a large mower that you don't need, and then losing money through depreciation would not be ideal.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Good points to consider so far. I'd also say that it might be a good idea to get yourself a walk behind mower now as it would most likely always have some use in the future for you.

Regardless of what you purchase, you should also keep future maintenance in mind. A quality mower is going to cost a few hundred dollars now, and if not properly cared for can end up costing a pretty penny to get fixed. My standard recommendation to anyone looking into buying for the first time is to seriously consider purchasing from a dealer in your area if you can. Look around, have the dealer show you the features of their equipment, and talk to them about warranties and service of what they sell. Take the equipment that interest you for a "test drive" and see how it feels to you. Something that looks good on the floor, or the one your neighbor down the street uses, may not feel right to you once you begin to use it.

Finally, I'd say you should try to check out as many brands as you can, and have some fun with it! And once you do make your purchase, READ the owner's manual, including all of the warnings, and become familiar with your new mower.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow, thanks for all of the quick responses, i was originally, leaning towards a push mower and probably still am. i was just thinking if i went the rider route that will save me making an expensive purchase once i have the house.
i do plan on getting a house with a fairly decent yard as i have 2 young boys that will need room to play outside.
as for purchasing i have a local husqvarna dealer about 5 minutes from my house i have already bought a string trimmer, leaf blower, chainsaw, and snow blower from them and i will not hesitate to buy my mower from them. i am a fan of husqvarna products so i plan on going that route.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts