My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got to mow for the first time in months, front and back, and used the HR194SX I just bought a few weeks ago. image.jpeg

Having only used snappers for the past 20 years this was different, but very good. My grass isn't great, lots of weeds and clover right now. Thick and damp too. That's one of the reasons I wanted a Honda, for when it's thick and damp and would normally plug up the chute on a snapper. No problems at all today. That little GXV120 didn't miss a beat going through the clover, self propel engaged. And the cut was very nice too considering the the grass isn't perfect. No clumps left behind and no plugging up the bag. Took a little getting used to the handle and controls but fun to use. And the darn thing starts on like half a pull! The PO took care of it, had it serviced at his local shop and kept it indoors. I will always love my snappers but I know why some people swear by their Hondas. This thing is great.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sounds like you need to start a new collection of Honda mowers!! LOL I have only had one Honda SX a few years ago. The deck was starting to rot through so I sold it. BUT I did pick up another one off the curb last summer but have not got checked it out. The lower handle is broke. When I get to it I will have to see if some one has it here. Might be the same model you have.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! Love to see it when you get around to it. If I could afford it and had more room I probably would start a Honda collection! Before I found this one there was an older HR21 that I almost bought. I couldn't make it to where it was (about 45 minutes from me) and then the guy went out of town. Then I was out of town the next weekend so it never worked out but for a good reason - this one popped up and I grabbed it.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Hey, we might have to change your screen name to Hondafreak!:2th: I'm a super big fan of the GXV120 engines they used on the HR194 and HR214 series of mowers. The GXV140 on the HR195 and HR215 series is a fantastic engine too.

The HR21 was Honda's first mower, and it had a side valve engine. Great mowers themselves, but something I'm inclined to keep as a collector than a user.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yessir you've got quite the Honda collection! I'm seriously enjoying the Honda. I will certainly be using the snappers too this season just not in damp conditions. I'm kicking myself now though because in the past couple years I've acquired two snappers with Honda engines, both GXV160s if I remember correctly. But I got rid of them. Rats! Live and learn!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I'll bet it felt good to use it! Thanks for picture. It sounds like you're enjoying it. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep this Honda is very nice to use. Light and easy to manuver. Didn't want to start a whole new thread for this but....I came home from the mower shop with another free snapper...with a GXV120 on it! It had been sitting outside for who knows how long without the gas cap on it so the fuel tank was more water than fuel. Needed a bag chute (which I had and installed) and that's about it. Got it home, pulled the engine and cleaned it and the deck pretty well. Bolted it back on, cleaned the air filter, NGK plug was good, drained all the fuel and oil and re-filled and it started up on the third pull. Couldn't believe it. Now it only runs on choke so it needs a carb cleaning but wow it runs great. Didn't take any pics of it before I tucked it away (in front of the 21500PCs, below the HR194SX and behind the compressor) but here's one. It's on an '87 21351P deck so it must've started its life with a basic 3.5hp Briggs I'd assume. It's on the back burner for now but it's one more thing off my list of things to find: old snapper with a Honda engine.

Attachments

Reactions: wh55

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
That's interesting. Doesn't surprise me one bit that it started so easily. They seem impossible to kill. Does the engine have the shaft out the back for the drive shaft, or is it one without?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It does not have the shaft out the back. Looks like it was made specifically for the snapper deck, has the flywheel brake cable also.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
I had no idea that the GXV120 was ever set up as a zone start engine. What is the model number listed on the engine case? I'd like to do some research on it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok model number on engine is GXV120-1678049. That's the only number I can find. I just finished swapping it onto my deck with the dead Tecumseh TVS-90 (carb issue and major oil leak) and cleaned the engine up. Removed the shroud and cleaned all up under it. I did bypass the zone start because I prefer to be able to leave the engine idling for a minute or so at start up and when finished for a cool down, also to empty the bag without killing the engine. But yep it's the exact same engine as on the HR194 with the exception of the zone start and no shaft drive. So glad I found this.:2th:

Attachments

Reactions: Austen

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Yep, that's one heck of a find for sure. I just looked at the list of Honda GXV120 small engines on the boats.net site. Gosh, they list 17 variants of that engine!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow 17?? Ya know, a couple years ago I found an old snapper commercial mower, it was an '81 or '82, with a Honda GV150 3.5 commercial engine. The model number on the mower decal was 21350PC, an actual from-the-factory 3.5hp commercial snapper. Couldn't even find a 21350PC listing for parts. The deck was all rusted out and trashed and the engine had a cracked carb but it wa very cool. So it seemed that Honda engine came on that snapper as original equipment. I found it odd to have a commercial engine rated at only 3.5hp, especially since it was not OHV. I'll be on the lookout for Honda engines made for snapper decks!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Ok model number on engine is GXV120-1678049.
My crystal ball here at Honda sez this GXV120 engine (probably made in Japan) was originally wholesaled on 8/7/1987 to a Honda engine distributor, Bliss Distribution in California...from there, it was likely sold to a mower manufacturer.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Bliss is right here in Sacramento! At least I think they still are the distribution center is (or was, not sure if it's still there) about 10 minutes from my house. And their mower shop is still 5 minutes away from me. That's neat. I have heard of mower shops replacing the OEM engines off of snappers and replacing them with Hondas. The deck was manufactured in 1987 as well. It was in pretty rough shape, that's why I put the engine on my Tecumseh deck and gave away the other one. Cool insight Robert, thanks!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Ok model number on engine is GXV120-1678049. That's the only number I can find. I just finished swapping it onto my deck with the dead Tecumseh TVS-90 (carb issue and major oil leak) and cleaned the engine up. Removed the shroud and cleaned all up under it. I did bypass the zone start because I prefer to be able to leave the engine idling for a minute or so at start up and when finished for a cool down, also to empty the bag without killing the engine. But yep it's the exact same engine as on the HR194 with the exception of the zone start and no shaft drive. So glad I found this.:2th:
Now that's an interesting hybrid!:cool

1 - 20 of 20 Posts