My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a new JD 324, moving up from my good old Craftsman after 20 years. Any advice on care and maintenance of the first few hours of operation ? Won't be mowing for a few months, but actually looking forward to it for the first time !! Thanks

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Welcome to the site and congrats on the new machine!! You're going to absolutely love it to say the least.

Maintenance wise, I would change the oil and filter fairly early due to the break-in period, at least after the first three or four hours of use. Not really too much other than that but it's always wise to do an overall inspection of the tractor and look for any tell-tale signs of something that may have come loose. Sometimes, not very often, things need to be retightened after the break-in period on new machines.

Most of all, enjoy it! :cool:

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
Welcome Mow-Or-Less! :)

Only thing I would add to Austen's recommendations would be to keep an eye on the grass buildup on top of the transmission. You'll probably find it has a cooling fan on it. Just like the engine, the cleaner and cooler you can keep it on the hot days, the better. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
The most important thing to stay on top of with any of those stamp deck machines is greasing the spindles. Water (wet grass) and bearings are a bad combination. I grease my spindle bearings after every use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts