My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the snapper dealer outside the town I grew up in for some parts today. Its been there since before I was born, but I've never actually been there. Some of you guys would love the place. Its in an old, old, old feed mill, and while they don't make it there anymore, they do still sell it. The lawn care shop is in the down stairs part of the mill, stone and cement floors in some areas, huge, ruff cut oak beams, and it just has that " smell ":) it was complete with an old timer with a long, gray beard in overalls, working the parts counter and fixing mowers in the shop. And, and...they had the parts in stock that I needed when no one else around here did:) anyways, they had this in the show room collecting dust:)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Snappin Turtles are a lot of fun to use! I have one with a Wisconsin AKN on it that I bring to antique engine shows and the like. Runs good and cuts okay. In its day and age it was one cool mower. There were 3 wheel, 4 wheel, 5 wheel and 0 wheel mowers at that time, and then this, a completely hidden roller drive. I love these oddities. McDonough Power Equipment made these mowers with a sulky, as a walk behind, or with a ride on seat and a steering arm. Talk about cool,

Chris

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Snappin Turtles are a lot of fun to use! I have one with a Wisconsin AKN on it that I bring to antique engine shows and the like. Runs good and cuts okay. In its day and age it was one cool mower. There were 3 wheel, 4 wheel, 5 wheel and 0 wheel mowers at that time, and then this, a completely hidden roller drive. I love these oddities. McDonough Power Equipment made these mowers with a sulky, as a walk behind, or with a ride on seat and a steering arm. Talk about cool,

Chris
Yeah, I stood there looking at it, thinking how much fun it would be to put that thing through its paces:)

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Those types of places and people like that are the best. What will happen they're gone?

That must have been a real treat to see in person. Has it ever been used?

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
That is neat! :ThumbUp:

Given the condition of the label and the paint on the engine which all still looks OE I wonder if it was ever used or if it was new old stock they found in a corner someplace. The paint is not even burned on the muffler.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I don't know the history on that thing, I was in a hurry to get home and the guy there was with a customer after me. I'm sure I'll be in there for parts again at some point, I'll have to remember to ask him about it.

·
1,329 Posts
wow, its a new one on me. It would be a thrill to see it or one like it in action.:ThumbUp: thanks for sharing

·
Registered
130 Posts
This mower is not NOS. It was clearly used, as some things are not right. The engine has a foam type dry air filter, whereas every Briggs powered Snappin' Turtle that I have seen which is original has an oil bath air cleaner. The deck also appears to be gray, which is not right. McDonough Power Equipment specified that both Briggs and Wisconsin engines were painted copper colored, and they painted all of the decks a teal color. The turtle head was also painted copper color. This looks like a good restoration to me, but not 100% right.

Here is a picture of my turtle,

Chris

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ktron, I believe the colors on it are correct, it is kind of a real color, its just really dusty, and that place was dimly lit. I also wondered about that air filter though, just didn't look right on something that old. your probably right though, probably is a restoration. Do you know when snapper switched to red on all their equipment? And could you give us a brief description of what its like using one of these? I'm fascinated by them and was always curious how well they cut. Looks heavy to:)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am not sure when Snapper jumped ship and decided that everything was going to be red. I assume sometime in the 50's or 60's? Maybe they started going red with the Comet, Rear Engine Riders or conventional mowers? There is probably a history .pdf on the McDonough/Snapper company somewhere online.

As far as the Snappin Turtle Mowers, they are lots of fun to use because they are old, wacky, and they have no wheels. You have to be careful using them, as they do not roll over the ground like a wheel mower. If you have lots of roots poking through the soil, I wouldnt want to be mowing with one. At least with a wheel type mower you can gauge where the blade is in relation to the deck, but with these mowers they keep you guessing. They do not have front rollers, but a pad which kind of smooths out the lawn before it cuts it. They have positive belt drive. Mine has forward only, but they did make models with a friction drive reverser. The cut is decent, but I stay pretty conservative with mine. I wouldnt go mulching downed tree limbs and branches with one as parts are pretty hard to come by for them. Mine still has its original blade. Its a curvy blade, much like the Whirlwind mowers of the time used. I am not sure if that was the new "fad" like gator and ninja blades are today. Finding a genuine replacement blade is about impossible, so if you were to stumble across one with a bent or missing blade you would need to match up a suitable replacement and drill/cut out the proper pilot, or have a plate welded up to adapt one. I really like the mower, but I generally like things which are way out of the ordinary.

I am sorry that I cannot go into more detail. I will not be returning. You can find me on smokstak.

Chris

·
1,329 Posts
WELL! I was really enjoying the thread, I got a lot of info from this about the Snapper. Strange world

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Yeah, I don't know the history on that thing, I was in a hurry to get home and the guy there was with a customer after me. I'm sure I'll be in there for parts again at some point, I'll have to remember to ask him about it.
When you do, see if they will let you take some pics of the underside and post them so some of the members can see how it works. :cool
I'm currently looking for some but they are a little hard to find in the south. I found two but a little pricey.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Eddleman has one in his basement of "fix it one day" projects.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts