My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She sure is BIG!!!! Was delivered this morning. Only flaw was it only had transport plates and no insurance nor our plates?? A glorified door stop right now! Also was left with ZERO fuel! :( I need to go to get diesel in can tomorrow! Seems like a sweet truck though! Will be the biggest thing I ever drove! Felt like the house when I moved it around lot a little!
In video I mess with air seat, not gassy!! :sidelaugh

Inside shots.

The curtain side. We need it to load big septic tanks and pipe.

Exhaust and cat is all compact!

What a size difference!!

The engine is packed! They sure over greased the steering!?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Nice truck!! Congrats Eric, that'll be something fun to look forward going to work to.

Thanks for taking all of the photos! It's fun to see things up close like this. The exhaust after-treatment system looks complex! The truck sure looks like an upgrade over the old one. I'll bet it will be fun to drive. You'll have to take me for a spin! :)

Keep us posted and let us know what it's like to drive.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
That looks like the same size as the Freightliner we rented for a day. The air seat should help with the cracks and expansion joints in the road. I did not drive so I had only the board ....err ... fixed bench seat under me which was nasty with hardly no weight in the back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
NICE!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Plates/registration Fed exed overnight. Hoping for Monday use. Added 5 gals if diesel so not completely empty!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man is don't have new truck smell, musty cigarette smell! :( Transporter smoked while driving it! ARGH!
Found a DVD of a overview for drivers to run it. My coworker won't allow me to take manual home as I wanted to do this weekend to learn operating tips.
God willing Monday I get to try it out. Transporter showed her how gate and curtains work, she has to show me!! Don't want to learn hard way!

Reactions: Golphin

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Man is don't have new truck smell, musty cigarette smell! :( Transporter smoked while driving it! ARGH!
Seriously??? That's unbelievable and frustrates me hearing about it. If it were me, I'd be asking to speak with a supervisor of that transport company and demand to have the interior steam cleaned. I get that it's a transport truck and not someone's personal vehicle so the driver took advantage of that, but it's still completely unacceptable and is a total lack of respect.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Austen, I agree. Doubt my bosses will. I think taking plastic off seats and interior detail will help!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Watched the DVD in owners manual I was allowed to take home, sure helped with some of the controls, the hazards are in wiper stalk? Also exhaust brake is there? WOW, would never look there!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well today was first run. I got in and mounted front plate, cleaned all that grease off. Checked oil and lights. Went up street to gas station. $148 later and 58gallons!! Loaded it with skid of water conditioning liquid. Very different to drive! Power seems low as hills slowed me right down. Much easier ride compared to flat bed. Was nerve racking as I never ran one. Only issue was lift gate . Skid almost went off! Maybe I did something wrong? Thank God customer was helping. Trying to get my Ipod to work failed, owners manual stats it isn't supported! Sure enjoyed learning the feel though. Look forward to running it again.

Reactions: Mark / Ohio

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
There's an engine in there somewhere! Could be a pain to work on.
Pretty much what I was thinking! There must be a power plant under all that wiring and tubing somewhere.

The extra weight of all that stuff alone would be enough to bog almost anything going up hill.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Is that the Urea tank underneath the passenger seat?

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
nice looking truck eric, what does it have for a motor and trans? it kind ofreminds me of when worked for mike serra, we had ford L8000's with a 24ft box. 210hp cat or cummins powered with a 6spd trans. some of the older trucks had a two speed rear nd but I dropped it when I ordered the new trucks because only three of us knew how to use it, all the 24 footers grossed 33,000 and yes I was responsible for ordering medium and heavy duty trucks, L8000 & L9000

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Austen, that is the windshield washer fluid reservoir. Detdrbuzzard it has a Allison auto and think Hino 225hp straight six.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
you say it doesn't pull good going up a hill? probably not, when I first started driving big trucks they would rev 2500-2800rpm then that got dropped down to 2200 - 2400rpm but they were rated at the same hp, sure didn't feel like it going up a hill. the first semi mike serra bough ( I had nothing to do with that purchase ) had a low rev motor, had to shift at 1100rpm or the gears wouldn't sync up. flat out it would run 85mph but any incline and it had no guts. the new L9000's I ordered all had big cam 350's ( none of that low rev junk ) with a 9spd road ranger trans, they also would run 85mph but because the reved up had no problems with about any incline we encountered . I drove over the road for a couple years and during orientation got booted out of class cause I told the instructor we would save more fuel if we could just motor up when going up some of the inclines rather than downshifting and gaining 500+ rpm and save some fuel

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This one in power mode revs to 2800 I believe. I have to get it inspected tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts