My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an offer to purchase a 2010 IS500Z with only 86 hours for $3100. Seller says the mower was not used for commercial mowing (kind of obvious given the hours), runs great, and starts right up.

The only downside is that he says he removed the front of the mower deck to cut 1 foot tall corn to make a maze and that they had the front reattached professionally by a professional welder. They posted a pic of the welding job and based on that it obvious where they welded.

I'm not a mower expert, my current mower is a 10 year old craftman tractor, so I was looking for opinions on if this is a good deal and if there's anything else I should check on the machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I might have concerns being that it sounds like it was modified to be used as a bush hog. Low hours is nice but those 80 something hours could have been pretty rough. A lot beating on the linkage and wear on the spindles and deck. May of had quite a bit of bogging load put on the engine as well. You may end with premature wear on the deck from the repair. I would be leary. If your still interested. I would look for bent and cracked brackets and bent frame areas and other welds and repairs. Also new paint areas from hidden repairs. I don't know what a new one goes for off the top of my head but if your looking for something for yourself for long term a new one or a good used one from a reputable dealer with a warranty might give you better peace of mind for that price.
Hope that helps and I hope I don't scare you away from what could be a good deal but just be careful!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I have to agree.

Being that it has been modified and welded back up, things aren't going to be 100 percent as they were when stock which may or may not effect the performance, quality of the cut or overall rigidity. Being that it was used in a corn field for something it was not designed for leaves me leary as well. This type of job is not a walk in the park for a machine, especially one that was not designed for it which means it could have out premature wear because of it.

If you're really interested, then I would have it checked out thoroughly at a dealership.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I do not know...Depends so much on the quality of the welding...
Consider less than the original price and the price of a new deck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts