My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I have an F series with excessive vertical crankshaft play. I’m wondering if instead of machining the lower case to accept the thrust washer/bearing from the later F series, can I simply run the washer. I have assembled the engine with one washer and it is within the .016 allowed. I don’t see why this would be any worse than the factory crank on aluminum case arrangement but thought I’d get some opinions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any advice at all would be appreciated, I really want to get this particular mower back in service but would like to hear thoughts on running a washer without a bearing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered the thrust washer for a model 10523, the part is 25280 I believe. The washer simply goes on the crankshaft and rides on the lower half of the crankcase tbus eliminating the excessive clearance.
I've actually had a few of my cases machined to accept both the thrust bearing and the thrust washer.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
The part number for the thrust washer is 252-80. The thrust bearing is 252-76. Bill

Reactions: lolaralph

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ordered the thrust washer for a model 10523, the part is 25280 I believe. The washer simply goes on the crankshaft and rides on the lower half of the crankcase tbus eliminating the excessive clearance.
I've actually had a few of my cases machined to accept both the thrust bearing and the thrust washer.
Where do you get your F engine Case machined and what is the cost?
What holds the crankshaft in place or what is worn to allow the flywheel to rub on the top of crankcase? My lower case area has no wear marks but the bottom of the flywheel
has been hitting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where do you get your F engine Case machined and what is the cost?
What holds the crankshaft in place or what is worn to allow the flywheel to rub on the top of crankcase? My lower case area has no wear marks but the bottom of the flywheel
has been hitting.
I had a friend do the machining, it was nothing too difficult. You are just basically making space for the washer and bearing. I have engines that are worn enough that they will already accept a washer with no additional work.
As to what holds the crank in place, it is the "fit" of the cases. That is why the wear causes so much of an issue. The newer engines used the bearing and washer to prevent this wear in the first place.
The only issue that would allow the crank to drop low enough to have the flywheel rub is the wear caused by the crank wearing away the case material.
Hopefully this makes sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts