My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I took the muffler assembly off one of my F engines and noticed that there was a straw-like substance and what seemed like little pieces of plastic around the crankshaft where it comes out of the powerhead. Is this what's left of the lower seal and is replacement as simple as cleaning out the old bits and tapping a new one into place without having to remove the engine from the deck?

Brad

·
Registered
147 Posts
Im not 100% sure, but I believe it is that easy. Just make sure you don't lose any of the needle bearings out of the new one if it is indeed needle bearings.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Generally, its common to find straw like dried grass wrapped around the shaft of a lawnmower. THAT IS NOT THE SEAL. The seal is a circular black ring between the shaft and the lower block casting. It can be removed without taking the mower apart. You should google YouTube for videos on how to easily do this. A new seal can be easily tapped in place. The lower needle bearings are not part of the seal, and will not be disturbed.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I wanna know how it got in the muffler

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
He never said it was in the muffler??

If you are unfamiliar with F Series Mufflers, They are a donut shape.. So The shaft goes right though the middle with about 1/4" all the way around.. The blade is only about 1/2" from the muffler so this usually acts as an anti-tangling device.. However it's not unheard of to get stuff up on the crank in the center of the muffler.

-Stan

·
Registered
91 Posts
What I think is nice, is that ALL the oil seals (top and bottom) of Lawnboy mowers from the "D" series thru the Silver series are all the same part number. Maybe even more models than I have experience with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts