My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Exmark Lazer Z HP 48" 21hp Kawi mower. I have had this mower for 4 years or so. Recently a friend of mine suggested I power wash my mower to clean it up(I know... very bad idea). Prior to that I used compressed air to clean the mower but it was in need of a good cleaning so I took his advice and power washed it.

The problem I have as I'm sure many of you can guess is that now when I engage the blades there is a constant high pitch whine. After shutting the mower and moving the blades manually I think I have narrowed down the noise to the clutch assembly. Is there a way to lubricate the assembly?

Thank you all in advance for your input.

·
Founding Administrator
1,256 Posts
Hello, marvihip, and welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I am not a good one to answer your question, but I wanted you to know that your question was seen.

By chance, could the noise be coming from the belt? Some belt dressing, maybe?

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
I don't recall hearing a high pitched whine complaint about a clutch before. I would tend more to think either a mower deck idler or spindle bearing might be the cause.

Have you tried engaging the clutch with the drive belt removed from it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Brad and Mark, Thanks for the input. I think what happened was after pressure washing the mower I let it sit and it flash rusted. After engaging and disengaging the blades a few times and cutting the grass I think it cleaned out all the rust. No more whine!! :) Thanks again for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts